Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:35 pm

You do realize that tucking their heads under is to get the cecal poops, don't you? All pigs do it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:37 pm

When you say they shake their heads, that makes me wonder if they have ear mites. Have you or your vet examined the ears closely?
I believe ear mites could be treated with a dose if ivermectin in/near the ear. Sometimes antibiotic drops are also used if there is an ear infection.

I feel so sorry for your guys!

daj

Post   » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:47 pm

I do realize they get their poops like that, but this is to bite at his skin, and he squeals when he does it. When I gave the Revolution, I applied it to their backs mostly, but some at the back of the ears. Jack, my black one, is starting to show the scaly build up of dead skin on his back again. I will try to get a picture of it, but won't be able 'til Friday earliest. I think this build up tends to go away while in the middle of the Ivermectin or Revolution treatments, but the itching doesn't stop. It's been more than 2 weeks since the last (3rd) Revolution dose. I don't know what this tells me. Some history: We did 2 Revolution, 7 days apart, but vet didn't see mites so she decided not to give a third. Some time later I did 3 pour on Ivermectin at home... still the itching. A couple months ago another vet wanted to try subcutaneous Ivermectin but I balked and opted for 3 of the Revolution, 10 days apart. I don't know, but is it not unlikely to be mites after all that?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 am

Is aloe vera gel safe to use on guinea pigs? I know it moisturizes and has a cooling and soothing effect on the skin. Just a thought.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 am

I'd say very unlikely to be mites at this point. With environmental issues and parasites pretty much ruled out, I'd go back to the possibility of something fungal that they're passing back and forth.

daj

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 am

One odd thing though, is that when Jack had the large amount of dead skin on his back, the vet scraped a lot off with a toothbrush, and it was cultured. It came back totally negative for fungus. He's the least impacted by the itching though. Perhaps I should get a culture dome on Henry.

Also, I am not sure I've ruled out everything environmental though. I don't trust my efforts. Is going back to paper for one week enough to rule out the fabrics? I haven't tried a thorough disinfecting of the entire pen, for one, because there are always two other pigs in there when I have one on the floor. It also seems hard to fathom that one could get at enough of the surface areas, given that we're talking about wire fencing. I will give it a try this weekend though.

And I have tried aloe on them. I assumed it was safe since it's edible and seems quite benign.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:20 pm

I suppose you could give the paper bedding another try, but I'd think it can be even more drying to the skin than fleece. It's just odd that they would all have the same sensitivity, if it were bedding.

Odd as it sounds, I wonder if any research into skin issues of hairless dogs might yield some other suggestions.

daj

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 pm

My thoughts too on the paper bedding. I am willing to look into any sort of studies at this point. Since the antifungal approach doesn't seem to be working, I am wondering about antibacterial I see antibacterial shampoos use tea tree oil, but I don't really want a shampoo, and I'd prefer not to have something with fragrance and other chemicals. So, I was wondering about adding some clove oil to the coconut oil. Any thoughts on this or something else along these lines?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm

I would not use either tea tree oil or clove oil. They can cause skin irritation.

daj

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Do you know what might be a safe topical antibacterial?

daj

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:05 pm

Maybe an ointment that's safe for babies?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm

In looking back at the Duoxo products that someone else mentioned, I wonder if these wipes would be worth a try:

They still might be too drying. You could always try contacting the company and asking their opinion. They may not have experience with guinea pigs (skinnies in particular), but might be able to give you an opinion. Their website is located here:
https://www.douxo.com/us

I actually found Duoxo Calm mentioned on a hairless dog website:
http://www.tuftsyourdog.com/issues/21_3 ... g-4-1.html

Here is the Duoxo Calm product information:
https://www.douxo.com/us/douxo-solutions/douxo-calm

I have not yet checked the ingredients.