Fasting for 12 hours before surgery?

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:43 pm

I brought our male pig to the vets today bc of obvious pain when urinating or defecating. They took 2 x-rays, and a urinalysis and found he has 1 bladder stone, 5 mm large. I immediately found a vet- one who also happens to be recommended on your site- and he is scheduled for his surgery with her this Monday, January 6. A concern I have, though, is that she told me to be sure he fasts for 12 hours before bringing him in bc of the anesthesia. I understand fasting, but am worried that's too long for a guinea pig. I'm an absolute bundle of anxiety over this whole situation even though the doctor treats exotic animals and has guinea pigs herself. I was wondering if this sounds right to you all. I don't have many options though if I want to get him in as quickly as I can. Any thoughts? I'm so nervous! 😬😭❤️

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 pm

Generally it sounds wrong. He needs to have food moving through his system. Perhaps only offer hay and water? This page has more info.
https://www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Ya I saw that page and that's what made me worry even more!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 am

Our pigs have many sedation/surgeries-dental, removal of tumours, ultrasounds to name some and our vets are clueless when it comes to guinea pigs. But even they said to us guinea pigs(rabbits too) can be fed right up to surgery time.

Guinea pigs can't throw up like dogs and cats can. Because of this that is why the vet asks owners not to feed their dog or cat in case throw up and drown on vomit.

So with all our girls we have always fed them before surgery. Especially Jessie who had to have a tooth removed, she was under for nearly 90 minutes. She was fed right up too and afterwards when fully awake. So I would feed your piggy as Lynx says piggies need food in their tummies to keep it moving along!

Hope all goes well in the surgery! In fact we syringe fed our girls 5 minutes before surgery(dental). Maybe feed your girl 60 minutes before surgery. Keep us posted!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:05 am

I'd stop feeding a couple of hours before surgery, but definitely not 12 hours. But I have to wonder how much this vet knows about guinea pig if he's recommending a 12 hour fast. Has he done surgery on a guinea pig before?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:32 am

I agree that it's a little concerning that your vet would recommend a 12-hour fast, and it's something I would try to discuss with him today if at all possible, since the surgery is on Monday. As pointed out, guinea pigs can't vomit and they need to have food moving through the gut to avoid stasis.

That said, I think it's important to note that there is a difference between "vomiting" and "regurgitation." Vomiting is the emptying of stomach contents. Generally speaking, rabbits and guinea pigs are unable to vomit. Where the esophagus and the stomach join is an area called the cardia that contains a valve called the cardiac sphincter. In rabbits and guinea pigs, this valve is described in veterinary literature as being "well developed" in comparison to that of other animals, and prevents food in the stomach from being vomited.

Regurgitation, on the other hand, is the emptying of food from the mouth or esophagus. Because guinea pigs tend to have a lot of food matter in their mouths at any given time, it *is* possible for a guinea pig to regurgitate that food matter while under anesthesia and then aspirate on it. It actually happened to one of mine last year (he had been fed Critical Care roughly an hour prior to surgery). While not common, I think it's important for owners to know that the potential is there for this to happen.

Again, though, I'd try to speak with your vet or the anesthesiologist today to better understand why the 12-hour recommendation was made. In my view, 1-3 hours should be sufficient.

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 am

Thank you all so much. I've been nearly unable to sleep worrying about this, and yes a 12 hr fast makes rethink everything. I'm going to call around for second opinions today when places open. I had a better gut feeling about a vet closer but they couldn't get him in until Thursday. Maybe the longer wait is worth it depending on their protocol on fasting. And yes, about the food in their mouths, I read somewhere that usually they'd rinse their mouths out to help prevent regurgitation. My stomach is in a knot! I wish someone near me could just say, THIS doctor does that surgery all the time and is competent so book him there. This is mentally and emotionally exhausting and I feel I'll nearly have a heart attack bf this surgery happens. I live in Central CT if anyone has recommendations.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:07 am

Maybe this will help? https://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html Hoping all goes well!

MarlowePieper11

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:37 am

I have a call into the vet where his surgery is scheduled to give me more info on why she says to fast for 12 hours before.
I called 2 other vets this am who both said they don't ask for any fasting except the morning of. I'm trying to get him into one of those doctors on Tuesday bc they also told me that vet has 3 bladder Stone removals scheduled this week! I love that she does them so frequently and sounds very equipped! HOPING they'll squeeze him in this week.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 am

Sounds good. Fingers crossed for you both.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:16 am

The general rule in Belgium is 2 hours before surgery for guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Sef, that is a very interesting explanation! I went looking for info and found this, published online 2013 Apr 10:

Why Can’t Rodents Vomit? A Comparative Behavioral, Anatomical, and Physiological Study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3622671/

It reviews the anatomical reasons for it. Also ran across the statement:
"Guinea pigs digest fibers more efficiently than rabbits and tend to eat more slowly" in another book (Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Birds and Exotic Pets, 2013, I believe).