Our girl Cherry has taken ill and has lost some of her appetite

duskern

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:37 pm

Thx Lynx. Will try asking her again. I don't know if there's any laws or something preventing her from trying the beads. I don't think I asked her specific about Chlor Palm, but mentioned chloramphenicol palmitate. I can try to ask her what they have available.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:00 pm

It is better you asked about chloramphenicol palmitate. I would not bring up the brand since you asked the correct question concerning the generic. You could ask if it is used by any veterinarians at all. Many drugs are considered "off label" because testing and dosing has not been done by the manufacturer on all species that they want it listed for. It is other types of scientific studies that try to show the efficiency of a drug for particular illnesses in individual species.

duskern

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:18 am

I just had a quick chat with our vet. The typical types of antibiotics they have available in Denmark are these:
  • Fluoroquinolon
  • Doxycyclin
  • Azithromycin
I have sent her the links you posted Lynx, regarding antibiotic beads. I also asked her about the chloramphenicol palmitate as a type of antibiotic, and she told me that the exact type of antibiotic is totally unavailable for vets in Denmark, and that they are not able to get it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:10 am

I believe antibiotics like penicillin are the kind of antibiotics often used in the beads. Normally administering penicillin would be extremely risky (it is one of the dangerous meds). When not ingested, it is less dangerous.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:31 am

Off hand, I don't know if any of those antibiotics are safe for pigs when used in the regular fashion. I don't remember any of our pigs being prescribed them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:53 am

Cipro is a fluoroquinolone. Doxy is used orally for pigs all the times. And Azithromycin is one of the big guns that's given to them when nothing else works, but it's hard on the gut.

duskern

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:00 pm

So all of these antibiotics, you have heard of them being given to guinea pigs?

I think our vet is currently at a point where she doesn't really know to give her. Baytril is not really doing anything, and she can't find any info on other antibiotics that they have, being given to guinea pigs. That's why I volunteered to try to find out what other options there is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:39 pm

Yes, they are used on guinea pigs (the three you mentioned). I am sorry you are not seeing results. Baytril has a range of doses. It is possible a higher dose might be more effective.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

duskern

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:21 am

That is nice to know at least. Do you have any recommendations or ideas at this point?

duskern

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:12 am

I seem to have misunderstood our vet, but that list of medicine (Fluoroquinolon, Doxycyclin and Azithromycin) is what they have available that they actually use for guinea pigs.

duskern

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 am

Baytril has a range of doses. It is possible a higher dose might be more effective.
She's currently getting 1,5 ml twice a day with 12 hours in between. What did you mean by range of doses Lynx?
Cipro is a fluoroquinolone. Doxy is used orally for pigs all the times. And Azithromycin is one of the big guns that's given to them when nothing else works, but it's hard on the gut.
What is a fluoroquinolone?

Is Baytril something completely different from the three antibiotics i mentioned earlier?

I need to figure out what the next logical step is, but I just don't know what makes the most sense to try.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 am

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=quinolones

Baytril is also a fluoroquinolone.