mammary tumor removal and anesthesia on senior guinea pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 23, 2020 9:03 pm

The silver sulfadiazine should help considerably to prevent infection (you can also monitor by smell). Hopefully this is superficial and there is nothing happening internally.

I see why you were concerned. It kind of looked like the skin was tearing. I remember how worried I was with one of my guinea pig's incisions. What I saw was the incision granulating (a good thing). I think there may be some pics on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/spay.html

Let me know if you'd like your pics added permanently to your topic for future readers.

Luna1

Post   » Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Yes, please add them permanently, thank you!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Agree. It was good that you had it evaluated, though.

Luna1

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 8:53 pm

Came back from the vet (the one that did the surgery) to show his incision. She said it is infected, and told me to start using muricin (mupirocin) twice a day, and doxycycline twice a day for 2 weeks. I never used this antibiotic, and I hope it doesn't affect his digestive system. (He got a very bad reaction to baytril before). She also gave me povidone iodine to clean the area once a day. She cleaned the scab around the incision, so now I can see the infected area much better. She said it should heal within a week, but I feel things always take longer than they tell you they would :(
[

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Poor guy! Is the infection superficial or inside the body? Hopefully the doxycycline will be tolerated okay. I am sure you will watch for inappetence.

Here is a crop of your picture:

Luna1

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 9:30 pm

She said it looks superficial, but can't say 100% for sure, how would you know if it's inside the body? Yes, I will watch to make sure he is still eating, and she said to stop the medication and call her if he stops eating. I remember how his whole system got messed up with baytril, and I hope it won't be like that again :(...

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 pm

You'll want to start him on a probiotic:
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

Do keep us posted.

Luna1

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 pm

I asked my vet about probiotics, and she said there is no probiotic that is truly made for guinea pigs. She mentioned benebac (which is what I have), but even that one doesn't really work she said. I will still give him benebac though, any other suggestions?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 10:55 pm

When my pig reacted to Baytril, I ended up at a different clinic and they recommended Probios paste and I used that with a different antibiotic.

It looks so inflamed, I hope you start seeing improvement in a few days.

platypus

Post   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:58 pm

i don't know if you're still checking this thread.
dr nakamura is my go-to vet also, he's beyond amazing. he's seen many of my piggies, bunnies, my sister's rats, my pooch
he is currently helping me care for my piggy. it's a darn shame that he is only doing online exams but at least he's still there!
may i suggest that you consider a televisit with him, you can show him the incision site and he can give you guidance. technology is so advanced, he might even be able to see the wound more clearly than if he was in the room. that's how he helps me with my fur baby, he has me show him various body parts via the smartphone camera, tells me how to feel things so i can report back, stuff like that.
sending loving blessings to you & your boy, hope this reply finds him on the mend

Luna1

Post   » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you, yes I did have a video chat with him in the beginning, when I first found the tumor, but since he only does online visits from now on, I had to find another doctor that did the surgery, and cleaned his wound etc...I now take him to Dr. Hilary Stern in Santa Cruz (she was recommended by Dr. Nakamura). She is a bit far for us, but is also a very good doctor. His incision is almost healed, but there is some swelling happening, I hope it will go away soon. I just want him to get better as soon as possible...I am attaching a picture to show how it looked couple days ago vs. today.

[

[Crop]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:48 pm

It does look much better. I don't know if the possible swelling is a problem or not but if there are no signs of infection (hot to touch), I am guessing not.