Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Last night I noticed my female pig's right eye super watery and when I checked her out, I saw a piece of hay sticking out. I was able to get it out which was a good thing as that was the biggest piece that got in there. It was a leafy kind of hay with no pointy or sharp edges so that is also a plus. She was able to open her eye allot easier but still semi shut.

I saw another one but this one was stuck on the eye ball and not sticking out. I placed her back after cleaning it as best I can. Then I got an idea that I may be able to get it out the way I take out an eyelash from my eye. I use a rolled up paper. I take her out and try to find the piece of hay but it disappeared. To not further stress her out, I clean again and place her back.

I took her to the vet (nov, 3, 2020 today) the next day cause I know I needed some medicine because I also saw an ulcer that had developed. Her eye was not cloudy but that hay had to have introduced bacteria un the eye. Her eye looked allot better compared to how it looked before (eye lid was red in color, no cloudiness or weird discharge aside from the white stuff used for lubrication). It was more normal color/darkish red

The vet told me exactly what I just said. She has an ulcer. They checked around the edges of her eye lids incase there was hay there. They did not find any either. So used the dye to see anything else in the eye as well. I am kinda concerned but I am hopeful that it may have fallen out during the time she had after putting her back in her cage (fingers crossed).

Now that some background info is set, they prescribed me 2 meds. Metacam 0.16 ml (2 doses per day for 10 days) for pain. I used this for pain for my late piggy as well so I am familiar with the tug of war to get it in their mouths all too well. The other med (which I never used before) is called:

Neobacimyx and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ophthalmic Ointment (2 doses per day for 10 days).
So, my late piggy had an ulcer before but he was prescribed an eye drop med. Not an ointment. I have never seen or used this before.

Because I know there is a peculiar ingredient here that is not well received in a piggie's stomach aka Bacitracin but isn't it safe to use as an ointment since it won't get into their stomachs?

I had to apply it solely because of the antibiotic properties it has. I didn't want to give any bacteria a chance to build up to cause an infection in her eye.

Is this safe to use? I know this is used for dogs and cats but can be used for other animals as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:16 pm

It is okay as an eye ointment. Just apply what you need. If too much, wipe off so there is nothing for them to lick/groom off.

Ointments tend to stay in the eye better than drops. If it is specially designed for eyes (an ophthalmic ointment), it should be just fine.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:04 pm

Alright, thank you

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:47 pm

So today is day 6 of the ointment and pain meds. Yesterday night, I never seen a very faint white spot in her eye till today.

It is much more visible when a light is shined on it. I decided to snap a picture as she was eating her dinner. Her eye looks watery because I had put some of the ointment about 30 min ago.

I have a follow up appointment this upcoming Thursday. I don't really know what to think of it because it makes me think this ointment may not be doing something right if her eye has started to become cloudy after 6 days of application.

If her eye becomes even more cloudy, I would call to be seen asap (hopefully that same day). You think I should give it a day or 2 before calling the vet?

I usually used about a drop worth of ointment but I put a bit more to cover more of the back parts of the eye (were the faint white spot is located). Will be doing that from now on.

The white spot is kinda hard to see without a bright light shining on the right eye. To give you a sense on how it looks with the naked eye.

Compared to day 1, she is able to open her affected eye allot better. Just that I see her eye lids sorta still irritated (I have seen her scratch it here and there too) and then the development of the white spot. I attached 2 images in semi different angles.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:42 pm

I can see it. It's hard for me to say if this looks like normal healing, because you didn't post an original photo to compare it to. If it were me, I think I'd email or text the above photo to my vet tomorrow to see what they suggest. It could be that it's just going to take more time to clear up.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:31 pm

That is the thing. Her eye lids was red and irritated and eyes was half closed when I discovered (been 6 days now)

She had no cloudy eyes even doe she had an ulcer. It was wet because the hay was in the eyes. Aside from the inflammed eye lids and tears, her eye was perfectly normal.

It is now that I see the small cloudy patch which I expected from the beginning. I never expected to see it half way through treatment.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:57 pm

The vet returned my call and said that cloudiness means it is healing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Hoping it clears up completely before long!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:41 pm

I hoped that's what the vet would say. Ditto -- here's hoping for continued healing.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:48 am

I appreciate it :)

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Today was the 2 week check up and her eye is much better. She may have a small scar but very tiny. It could go away with time.

As I was putting some more ointment, I was doing an inspection and I found something I am not sure about. When I remember if I ever checked her nipple area, I don't think I ever had.

I do not know if it is normal but I will post 3 pictures. As someone who is currently studying medicine, it looks like a skin condition to me. Let me know what you guys think. She has them on both of them. There is 1 image were it shows both at the same time and 2 close up ones.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:16 pm

I have not had females, but my understanding is that enlarged, crusty nipples can be indicative of ovarian cysts:
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

Photos from that page, for comparison:

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable with regard to female reproductive issues will chime in.