Mavis - Currently having a stroke/heart attack?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Hooray for Mavis! Those are 4 cute & happy pigs.

Tofu

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 9:30 am

Mavis likes to keep me on my toes I guess. Her weight has been between 1000-1050g for the longest while, and in the last 9 days she's lost about 100g. Still eating well and very active- I modified the ramp in the pig cage for her a while back when I knew she was having trouble getting up it due to arthritis, and she's still running up and down it without issue. Her breathing is quite calm and easy today, it did take a good two weeks for the change in furosemide dose to take full effect. Soonest I could get an appointment with my vet is June 4 so I have that on the books now at least.

Tofu

Post   » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Just wanted to give an update on Mavis and hopefully get some suggestions. For the most part Mavis has been puttering along happily and healthily. In the last month she has had a couple bad days, I've increased her furosemide dose a bit on those days and she improved within about 24 hours. The bad days are coming more often and are closer together now. I asked my vet if we should tweak her meds a bit and she tells me that 10mg/kg twice daily is the max safe dose for pigs. Can I get a sanity check on that? From what I've read here it sounds like 10mg/day total is what is generally considered the max safe dose. Mavis had previously been on 4mg 2x/day, then was upped to 5mg 2x/day when she started having real wet breath sounds and it was obvious she was having difficulty breathing. I tried to decrease her back to 4.5mg but she went downhill when I did. Her last bad day she had 5mg in the AM, 2.5mg midday, and then 5mg at night, which seemed to get her back out of crisis mode but I am worried this was too high a daily amount to give.

Mavis is also on 1.25mg of benazepril 2x/day. The last time this dosage was changed she was on 1mg 2x/day and started to have a recurring cough, increasing to 1.25mg completely eliminated that. I asked if increasing to 1.75 or 2mg 2x/day [edit: mistakenly thought she was on 1.5mg dose now, but she is only on 1.25mg, so I would increase to 1.5mg not 1.75/2mg] would be ok to try but my vet does not know if this is risky or not. I also asked her about vetmedin, and she agreed to prescribe me some even if she thinks it is highly experimental in guinea pigs.

My vet is nice but does not have much or any experience dealing with heart disease in guinea pigs, if not for the information I have gleaned on this site I think Mavis would have died a year ago when she initially thought her breathing issues were due to arthritis.

Today Mavis is having a bad day, she mostly stays in her twigloo and isn't interested in any veggies besides lettuce. Still eating plenty of hay though but probably not drinking enough water. Her breathing is not great, she is using her whole body to breathe and is doing the classic head bob. Kinda feel like I'm at the intersection of "let's try this new med/tweak this existing med, and it will get us out of crisis mode again" and "maybe it will soon be time for euthanasia". I manage to get myself into an anxious depression every time, only to every time be delighted when she bounces back. Hoping for that kind of outcome here tonight/tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:16 pm

I'm sorry she is having these issues. Other than point you again to the heart page (which has limited info), I don't have any other ideas.
https://www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

From what I understand, heart medications and furosemide can be used together and furosemide is fairly flexible for dosage, though it must be monitored.

I wish I had enough knowledge to offer you more helpful advice.

Tofu

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Unfortunately Mavis is not having a great day today, she is not very interested in food or water and is just laying in her twigloo on top of a heating pad. I am struggling to decide if I should be aggressive here with force feeding food and water or deciding to throw in the towel. Wish she could talk to me and tell me what she wants.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 pm

That's a difficult decision and I empathize with you. I went through a similar situation just two weeks ago after I had been syringe feeding on and off for a month. Quality of life and the potential for her recovery were the deciding factors for me. I wish you all the best.

Tofu

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:55 pm

I've forced some water into her a couple times today and that was pretty stressful, for both her and me. I am, sadly, an experienced force feeder so I could do that if I needed to...just not sure it is worth the stress. She is eating a tiny amount of veg, and once I am out of work I'm going to hit the store and try to buy a few special treats for her to see if that might tempt her. I think as long as she is acting alert and eating (even if its only a little), then I don't think she's ready to go. I really honestly do not know what her potential for recovery is.

She will be 7 and a half next month and this past year has been mostly great days for her. I know I have probably done as much as I can but I always always feel like there must be *something* left to do. The last days are always the hardest.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Do be careful using a heating pad. I know there are all kinds of warnings for humans that they should not fall asleep on one, for example, because there can be burns. Though you likely are using safe techniques I want to make sure other readers who are looking for advice are aware of safety issues.

Sending good wishes your way.

Tofu

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Unfortunately Mavis was put to sleep on Thursday morning. She wasn't improving and it felt like it was her time. The pig cage is much quieter this weekend. :(

By the way, here's the heating pad I use and highly recommend: https://smile.amazon.com/Pet-Products-1 ... 07HML9QJ5/ Only gets to be about guinea pig body temp, it is on all the time and sits under several layers of towel and fleece. I put it in the cage a year ago when Mavis was first diagnosed with CHF, but I'll probably leave it in there since my other pigs love it and they all take turns laying on and next to where it's sitting.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:42 pm

Oh, I am so sorry, Tofu. I know you will miss her.

It sounds like your heating pad setup was perfect. I am sure she appreciated it as her health deteriorated.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:40 pm

My sympathy, Tofu. I'm sure you miss her. Take comfort in knowing you provided a loving home and a good life for her. She had the best of care.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Tofu, I'm so sorry you lost Mavis. She had a wonderful life with you.