Tooth issue and more

RubySimon

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 pm

My life is looking for and evaluating poop. Few people understand that.
With horses, it is so insanely crucial to find poop that is the right amount, consistency, etc. We have a cat with megacolon. Each morning we have to check the litterbox and make sure there is the "right" amount and quality of poop. We have two cats, so it is imperative that we identify who did what poop. Really?? I check the rabbit litterbox twice a day for poop. And it goes on and on........... but soooooooooo happy for Simon poop, can't forget Luke, he hasn't let me down so far. Today was a good day. :)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:57 pm

So you're a cross-species poop expert.

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:21 am

Yes, A master of poopology!!

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:56 am

In six days he went from 2.28 lbs to 2.38 lbs. Small gain, but still good.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:19 am

I just thought I would do a quick update on Simon. He seems to have rebounded! I was doubtful for a bit, his weight dropped a tiny bit. But I started doing some last ditch things to see if it helps and fingers crossed it seems to be. I give veggies to the bunny and pigs twice a day, morning and night. I have started to give Simon 3/4 of his allotment in the morning and only 1/4 of what he gets at night. Since they eat during the night, I think he was not hungry for hay because he had filled up on vegs. So possibly, by not eating enough hay, he wasn't wearing his teeth enough. I also make my own hay mixture, 1st and 3rd cut timothy, orchard hay and a tiny bit of alfalfa. I chop it into small pieces. Not tiny, but cut up enough that he seems to manage it much more easily. After I started that, I noticed that there was A LOT more good poop in his pen. He is up to a tad over 2.5 lbs now. And he eats soooooooo much more comfortably. I am really happy. How long this will last, who knows. I will take him back into the vet in a few weeks for one more tooth check, I want to see if the canker is completely healed and if his teeth have started to grow over his tongue again. But right now, I am enjoying watching him be happy and comfortable.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 am

Thanks for the update. I am so happy to hear you have worked out a feeding protocol that helps him! And I hope the tooth check reflects how he is eating more hay and that his teeth look good.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Thank you!! I have had 9 pigs over about 15 years. First tooth issue I have ever dealt with. So, this has been a learning experience. Thankful for the help I got here.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:13 pm

Good news - thanks for the update.

If you need to shred hay long-term, you might try a Nutri Ninja blender. I bought one when Lacey was sick, and it shreds dry hay and corn husks to a fine coleslaw texture.