Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:42 pm

That is great news!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:43 am

Thanks for the update - good news!

puffin

Post   » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:35 pm

Doing a third pig update (Bonnie and Louise passed away this summer). Marmot is my only pig now. She was a single pig before she came to us and I wondered how she would do after her sisters passed. She was a little down initially but seems happy. We took her to the rescue to try to some play dates with other pigs. She attacked them all (even a baby!) so we will just keep her a single for time being.

She is having a small issue that I wanted to get some insight about. Several months ago she began sneezing and sniffling a bit (no other symptoms). We've been to the vet and she hasn't been concerned since there haven't been other symptoms (breathing is good, lungs clear, no nose or eye gunk). My allergies are horrible where we live and we thought maybe Marmot has an allergy too. Today I did notice a little bit of clear discharge on her nose (she wiped it away with her paws). She sort of snort sniffles (like I might if I need a kleenex but one isn't handy!) throughout the day.

We are going back to the vet tomorrow for a check in. I am going to see if some of the discharge could be cultured although it may be tough to get a sample. The vet didn't want to do ABs initially since there weren't symptoms, but I'm wondering if that would be a next step or if watching is still a better approach. Marmot has done well on SMZ but had that terrible reaction to Marbofloxicin. I know SMZ isn't the standard for URI but I am concerned about another issue with something like Baytril. Would a reaction to the Marbo be an indicator of an issue with other types used for URI?

Are allergies a thing with pigs? Since this has gone on for the past several months, it is perplexing since there haven't been other symptoms. It is hard to say if it is worsening or if I am just noticing it more since I now only have one pig to focus all my anxiety on!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:10 pm

Alergies are always a possibility though respiratory illness more frequent.

Don't know if you'd be interested, but trying an air cleaner with a Hepa filter might be worthwhile. Could help you too!

SMZ is generally well tolerated - great when it is effective on a particular bacteria - though more troublesome antibiotics can work better on some bacteria.

Marbofloxacin is in the same family as enrofloxacin (Baytril).

puffin

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Thank you! We saw the vet and Marmot did a little sniffling there for her to hear. She would like me to try an air filter first. I'm also going to try an unscented laundry detergent (I had been using a Mrs Meyers basil - the vet seemed skeptical that could be an issue but I lose nothing by trying). She said as long the discharge remained clear and there were no other symptoms, she didn't feel like throwing ABs at it now was worth it, but said we could try SMZ first before a bigger gun since she did have that issue with the marbo.

I asked about a culture but she thought it was of limited value at this stage since she felt that there are normal bacteria present and we could be on a goose chase for something that might not be causing an issue. She also suggested a CT of the sinus/head if I was so inclined (that would happen at the same place where we took Bonnie and Louise). She did feel that would be information but unlikely to change any sort of outcome if we saw something (e.g., I don't think I would opt for sinus surgery etc.). I suppose my posture could change if she worsens and we exhaust options but for now she is doing fine.

So anyway for now, try the filter and continue monitoring!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:42 pm

I hope the filter helps! No doubt some people and animals are bothered by allergens. Your vet sounds very reasonable and like she has a good grasp of Marmot's issues. It would indeed seem if any nose discharge is clear, there is not a sinus bacterial infection, for example (like in people).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:48 am

Keep us posted. I have a small clean air machine (HEPA) filter in the boys' room, which is also our kitchen. I do notice that it traps quite a bit of dust and dirt.