Medicine for Hay Poke on Eye

Linollieum

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 am

Renonsparky, we posted bad google and yelp reviews, like he'll care about that :D I'll have to look for some way to complain more efficiently, if he could get uncertified for guinea pigs at least I think that would be for the best. It was pretty clear he's a dog vet that thinks all eyeballs are the same but doesnt actually know anything about guinea pigs specifically.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am

That sounds like the worst vet! A knowledgeable pet owner is what they should want. Someone who is proactive, willing to learn, and DOES ask questions!

The reason this site is here it to help people become informed about guinea pig health. Being an observant owner, looking into what might be wrong, understanding how quickly guinea pigs can go downhill -- there is a wealth of info here and vets, including this crappy vet, should be happy when people become more informed.

I can't tell you how many times we have told people to get an xray to rule out stones when there are certain signs of illness. Unfortunately, stones (for example) are much more likely than a UTI and yet vets will assume they can go the route of pretending it is a UTI (which IS possible) and skip the important xray that will provide much more accurate info to him/her and the pet caretaker.

That aside, PLEASE do contact Pinta asap for a local recommendation. She is an expert at recognizing issues in her own guinea pigs and in also educating her personal vets over the years.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:33 pm

The sunshine animal hospital in Springfield was reluctant to take an xray. I don't understand why. The only thing I can think of is that they judged me by my appearance and didn't think I could afford it. I admit that I look very rough with my gray beard and the sweat pants, t-shirt, old military fleece jacket and slippers. That doesn't mean I can't afford $85 for an x-ray on my guinea pig. They weren't unfriendly, but looking back I saw that they weren't comfortable with me asking questions. They might have thought that I was second guessing them. I'll never take my pets there again.

The vet clinic in Reno was very good about listening to me and addressing my concerns. The clinic in Ava is too. They're limited in what they can do for guinea pigs. They know it and have no problem referring me to another vet who can help. I hope the vet you're going to can help your guinea pig. I also hope you can put out the word on that terrible vet. I'd have a very hard time being civil to anyone who handled my guinea pig like that and that's putting it mildly.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:19 pm

I’m getting the impression that some of the vet clinics are so busy they are purposely deterring people from coming back if they have a pet with ongoing issues.

We had the same experience with a new vet at our clinic who finds every excuse not to treat or diagnose our dog. He’s a growly little old guy with heart disease, and this vet actually told us she couldn’t take X-rays of his back because he would need to be sedated and his heart couldn’t handle that. And if they didn’t sedate him, the stress would be too much. Similar excuse when I wanted a very small wart removed. Can’t stress him with local anesthetic, can’t sedate him. I just about asked if I should stop brushing and clipping him since he gets pretty wound up about that as well.

Went to a different clinic and they got X-rays, blood work, urinalysis, and didn’t even muzzle him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 am

How frustrating. Glad you did find a vet clinic that did a better job.