any help on dental vets

a_happy_chick

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:33 pm

My poor pig has gotten dental problems. She's lost a lot of weight and she's at a very scary weight now - almost 600g. I am starting daily weighing today. She is 4/5 and I really really would appreciate some help on vets. I don't know how well she would do under anesthesia. I am syringe feeding her 4, 5, 6, times a day and try to give 15-20 mls per session (She eats the food voluntarily). The local vets could do her dentals but they mostly do dogs and cats and I don't know how great they are for guinea pigs. Right now she is lonely (her pals :( passed ) but I want to give her a friend/friends once she gets better. I am really very sad any help would really really be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:05 pm

Have you read the teeth pages? There is a lot of info and a list of veterinary dentists. You would need to screen exotics vets to see if you can find one that works with guinea pigs. I see you are in UK, Suffolk. So our veterinary recommendations may not be helpful.
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:35 pm

You do need to have her teeth taken care of as soon as you can possibly arrange it. Tooth problems never improve on their own, they only get worse. If her molars are overgrown, they can trap her tongue and prevent her from swallowing.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:53 pm

I can vouch for that. Once their molars pin her tongue down, the critical care collects around the tongue and molars. After that, the problem compounds and makes for an incredibly painful and uncomfortable situation for her. I dare say that time is of the essence. She must see a vet asap.