Babaganoush - Tooth Issues

cadrhys

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi all, just wanted to share and perhaps get some advice regarding my guinea pig, Babaganoush. I took Baba in a little over two weeks ago when I noticed discharge around his eye and a an incisor that didn't look quite right (yellowed, shorter than the rest). His other incisors were also uneven. His regular exotic vet suspected some infection when upon a closer look they noticed some blood around the gum surrounding the weird looking tooth. They prescribed baytril for 10 days and meloxicam for 7 days. He did alright on the baytril and meloxicam and also gained 50 g within a few days of starting antibiotics (he was down to 975g which is low for him).

Yesterday (5 days after completing antibiotics), I noticed that the discharge around his eye returned and that he dropped hack down to 1000g.

My usual vet referred me to the folks at Angell Memorial who do dentistry and here's what they recommended for next steps and what we'll be doing next Tuesday:

CT imaging to confirm whether it is an infection of the tooth root, abscess or otherwise.
Molar Trim - my original vet did miss one of his molars starting to overgrow and block his tongue.

And then depending on the results of the CT, either try to just manage the infection medically through another course of antibiotics or extract the infected tooth completely.

My question for folks is how have tooth extractions gone for anyone that's had this procedure on their pig? Also 10 days on Baytril didn't seem to resolve whatever this is, are there other antibiotic recommendations from folks?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited to add in: He's 6 about to be 7 in September if that's helpful to know!

cadrhys

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:06 pm

Ope, sorry for the double post - I can't seem to edit the original one anymore but I forgot to add in:

The folks at Angell put him back on Meloxicam for 7 days. He's still interested in hay and veggies, but they did also recommend just offering critical care in the next few days prior to the imaging / molar trim as a supplement to what he's eating on his own & to get his weight back up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:13 pm

At the moment, the only thing I can add is that one recent poster needed to use antibiotics long term for a similar eye issue. I will reread this tomorrow and see if there is anything else I can add.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am

I take it dental xrays were done? They can give useful information and help determine if there is an infection. I imagine a CT would be much more definitive.

I am guessing a watery eye would more likely be related to a molar issue vs. an incisor issue. If you have a clear crisp image or two you'd like to add to your topic, you can email them to me:

cadrhys

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:37 am

No imaging has been done so far, the price differential between a head xray and a head CT was fairly nominal in the grand scheme of things that I just decided to go for the CT. They're going to lump the molar planing on as long as he's doing well under anesthesia on the same day since that's visible enough already.

I'll send some photos over shortly!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:11 pm

I hope the CT is helpful and that you can get your guinea pig's medical issues taken care of.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:40 am

I believe my guinea pig, Mr Bubbles is the one that Lynx was referring to. He was on antibiotics long term for his eye issue. As it turns out, he has a blocked tear duct and it looks to be permanent. There's no infection, even though it looks like there is. What is happening is that his eye fluid is backing up into his eye and drying. I clean it daily and use anti-inflammatory eye drops, which helps. The drops are Diclofenac. He's about to turn 6 years old and other than his eye, he's in good health. If you want to read about him and his eye, here's a link to the thread. https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... &start=340. It starts near the bottom of page 18 and there are several pictures you can look at and compare to Baba's eye. It's important to keep his eye clean as much as you can.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:38 am

I hope the ct scan goes well! I'm having similar issues with my pig right now and am so hopeful that the scan gets you some answers. Sending all the good vibes!

cadrhys

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:09 am

Just as an update, I took Baba to the vet for the CT and to get his molars trimmed. Both processes were done under anesthesia. I guess I'm wondering what recovery from this looks like for a pig?

I got him home last night and he wasn't eating much, gave him his dose of meloxicam, about 15 ml of CC and offered some carrot and cucumber which he ate. No interest in lettuce, hay, or pellets. A little later (4hrs?) Another 10 ml of cc and he still hasn't touched his other food really. And finally this morning another 15 ml of CC, took a few nibbles of carrot, parsley, and cucumber, still no interest in other food.

His weight hasn't changed overnight, though I don't know if it's because I'm just shoving CC into him.

His poops are mixed I've seen some slightly more normal looking ones and some weird long ones (1.5 inches). Is this the critical care?

Right now I'm offering a little of everything, his normal pellets, hay, a little lettuce, soaked hay, and some balls of critical care. Crossing my fingers that CT results come in sooner rather than later... Any thoughts would be super appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:15 am

From where I am, it looks like you are doing a great job. Some guinea pigs have a more difficult time recovering from a trim (I don't know if it is pain or anesthesia related, more complicated dental issues not quite addressed by the procedure or the guinea pig itself).

Your focus on potential pain management, the addition of more critical care if needed to maintain weight and continuing to offer all the foods you are offering will help tremendously.

cadrhys

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:17 pm

We've got CT results back. It looks as though it isn't an infection at all, but an issue with an elongated /abnormal tooth root for the discolored incisor that he has. Below is what the vet had to say about it:
On Baba’s CT, the radiologist is noticing that the root for that abnormal incisor is actually growing very abnormally and up against the left sinuses and tear duct. While the root is not infected, it is causes a lot of inflammation in the area that is leading to mineralized scar tissue in the left sinus and tear duct. I would recommend extracting the incisor, if feasible for you. It may not completely reverse the changes to the sinus and tear duct but would prevent them from getting worse. If we do not think we want to or can go through with the extraction, then we would focus on medical management to help reduce inflammation and discomfort as much as possible.
I am reaching out to her about what medical management would look like and if she thinks there's any risk to the extraction given that he's a little bit older. If anyone else has had this issue with an incisor / had this done, please let me know how your pig did!

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:18 pm

I wish your Baba absolutely the best!!

Our Irie has incisor isuess(positioned wrongly, not infected), too.. He will be 7 in october, so nearly the same age. Dr Legendre who we contacted by the mail recommended extraction, too. And he didnt write that age is a problem, so he must have tought its not.

The tooth wasnt checked out by our surgeon yet(long drive is waiting..), but it will be and we will see than..