Blood in pee, UTI/IC/cryst/tumor

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:11 pm

I would have expected sludge to have a larger footprint. Does look like a stone might look. Sorry you are dealing with this.

alex117

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:16 am

Thats what i thought too. It is so frustrating.

And then I thought, if it is a tumor in the bladder, then when we open her, the vet would have found it. And if the tumor isn't in the bladder, then it her bladder won't be inflamed like this, and it shouldn't have debris like what the vet described to me.

Then I thought, if it is not a tumor but IC. Then X-ray and ultrasound won't pick up this image. This image clearly should there is something located in there and we can't find it.

Now, @lynx @sef @JJGiebz, can it be some debris/blood clot casing an inflammation?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:14 am

To me, it doesn't look *quite* dense enough to be a stone, although stone would have been my first thought, so it is very likely sludge. It's a little odd to see sludge shaped like that, though.

I wish I had something helpful to offer.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:20 pm

From my daughter:

"We've had several pigs with bladder inflammation problems/squeaking when peeing or pooping. We ruled out everything else and were left with possible interstitial cystitis. We ordered a drug online called Cystease - it's glucosamine, for cats with interstitial cystitis. It isn't available in the US, so we had to get it from a seller on Amazon. They come in pill form, so we pull the pill apart and mix the contents with water, then syringe feed the pig the water. It actually started working very quickly, within a few days the pigs stopped squeaking while peeing."

It usually takes a month to get here, however the last order came in 1 week. Daughter said maybe they thought she had Amazon Prime.

alex117

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:09 pm

@Bookfan, yea i just ordered it last night. Did your piggy get a very serious IC too?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:54 pm

Two pigs have had it. The 1st one had it really bad.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:01 pm

I still also think Shilintong might be a worth a try.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:17 pm

On X-ray, my vet thought Gus had a stone. She did a pre-op ultrasound and thought it appeared to be a stone, encased by something else, attached to the wall of the bladder, and that's when she recommended an "expert" second opinion.

It was the professional ultrastenographer who, I guess confirmed, that it was thickened bladder tissue resulting from IC.

As far as managing the inflammation, I would say yes. Gus is able to pee without crying as long as I keep up with his extra fluids, his shilintong and metacam, and as long as he gets his steps in. The exercise and extra fluids really help. He also is on a high dose of metacam. I am not a vet and can't recommend any dosage higher than your vet prescribes. But I would note that there is mixed research on whether guinea pigs metabolize metacam like rabbits, or like rodents. Gus weighs around 1050g on his good eating days and he gets .11ml of 1.5 strength metacam twice a day which is slightly higher than the max dose recommended for his weight. He has been on this dosage for 3 years.

He recently had blood work done that suggested he may have mild anemia, which could be related to a GI ulcer, which can be a side effect of long term NSAIDS. Recheck
on the blood work showed normal levels, but I'm trying to lower his dosage just in case, anyway.

It's so hard, though. I have to weigh that against watching him struggle to pee and crying as it dribbles out. In the end, I think it's all about working with your vet to find a balance that benefits your pig's quality of life.

For what it's worth, Gus has also had pain management success with gabopentin - but he absolutely hates the taste. (I think it smells good - like vanilla) It's the only thing in a syringe I have to restrain him to make him take. To me, the stress of that twice a day negated the benefit- but it could be something else to try.

alex117

Post   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:28 pm

Humm then ball has a very similar diagnosis like your pig. Before you gave the med to Gus, did his energy level decrease? Ball doesn't want to move and lost a lot of appetite because of this.

Wil start Shilintong and Cystease on Sunday and give her two week to see how it goes. In the worst case, we may want to say goodbye to her, because she isnt living a good life now.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:55 pm

Yes, when he is experiencing pain he sits hunched up in the corner or in his house and doesn't want to move. His appetite decreases, and he loses weight. I weigh him every morning.

alex117

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:15 am

@JJGiebz, my ball has been like this for like a week now, it really broke my heart to see her become like this :(
How long does it take the shilintong to start working?

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:47 pm

I've had shilintong begin working in a matter of days. It was a life saver for Gus' female cage mate a few years ago. I really hope it helps your Ball just as much!! Sending all the positive vibes your way!!