Anyone Ordered from KMS Lately?

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi, All! Long time no post. :)

Still here, still the slave of 4 boars and a very needy Dalmatian!

Question for you all - I haven't ordered from KMS since shortly after Linda sold it - I have been ordering SPS 3rd Timothy OR Orchardgrass.

I logged into the KMS site today, and noticed that shipping is now factored into hay/pellet prices ("free" shipping to Continental US), and the hay prices + shipping are now comparable/slightly lower than SPS. It also looks like they added a "subscribe" discount (10%), which also helps. Looks like I can get 45# of bluegrass for $70 where 50# at SPS costs $81 on subscription.

I have a bunch of points to use at SPS, and have not heard anything about KMS quality since Dan bought it.

Anyone have comments/experiences?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:38 pm

There was a hiccup a while ago--there's a thread on it somewhere--when shipments were delayed without explanation, but they seem to have straightened things out. I've ordered pellets twice. Quality seems fine as always, and shipping is noticeably faster. I haven't ordered hay in quite a while but the last batch seemed fine. (I always get the 45lb bluegrass.)

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:43 pm

I’ve ordered from them a few times as well without any problems. When I ordered hay from them a few months ago, I sent them an email first asking how their third cut was. I was worried because it was so far off-season for the third cut. They emailed me right back saying it was currently about a 5 out of ten and if I wanted soft, green hay, I might be happier with the 2nd cut. I did order the second cut and was happy. I think someone posted here about ordering the 3rd cut and they were not happy. Just a long way of saying I’ve been happy with them, but if you’re thinking of getting 3rd cut off-season, email them first.

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks! I would be ordering the Bluegrass (hubs is highly allergic to timothy), and maybe a small amount of 2nd cut.

Mmeadow, do you feed only bluegrass? I've recently switched to only BG, and am slightly concerned that it is too soft to properly grind their teeth down?

IssaG

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:40 pm

I'll need to order from KMS in the next month so curious myself. I only order the bluegrass, again allergies to the timothy hay though bluegrass is only a little better. My guineas are a year old and have only had bluegrass from KMS and their teeth are fine. I seem to remember when I ordered in early 2019 that I had an email outlining the condition of all the grasses and some where better than others. Haven't seen anything recent though.

While grinding does wear teeth, I think the silica in the grass is also a big factor and it's a component of grass, soft or course.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:05 pm

I've fed 95% bluegrass for many years. (I give them a little Oxbow oat hay and alfalfa for variety.) Wears down their teeth just fine and It smells so good! I love napping next to the place where we store it.

SSLee

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:19 pm

I ordered 20 lbs of bluegrass in April and it had more brown than I expected. On a scale of 1-5, I would give it a 3. Recently I've been adding Oxbow oat hay for variety and my two girls are enjoying the new flavor. I also purchased Oxbow meadow and botanical hays for more variety. I'm allergic to timothy hay and mainly used SPS orchard grass in the past.

bad_apple

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:38 pm

I have been on recurring orders for awhile now with no issue. In August, my hay bale was shipped but never received. Was notified by UPS that they destroyed the box. KMS did replace it, but the hay was mostly brown, very coarse, and smelled a little sour. We're still trying to get thru that box and they don't like it. In mid-September, my card was charged, but the order remains unfilled. I emailed asking for an update Friday but haven't heard back yet. Was starting to wonder if something was going on over there. May try switching to Small Pet Select after this order is finally filled.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 am

Several of us have been pleased with Rabbit Hole Hay. I haven't been at all impressed with their customer service, so I order it from Chewy.com. Gets here in 1-2 days and the quality has been quite good.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 pm

I emailed KMS the other day about wanting a sample of their pellets for one of our guys, and received an auto-response that the person who normally responds to inquiries is out of town. I then emailed whoever the back-up person is, but have not heard back from that individual, either. Does anyone know what's going on?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:57 pm

We got an order of timothy 3rd cut from KM last spring that had a lot of dead tree leaves. They replaced for free about 1/3 of the amount, but it had quite a few unidentified weeds - too many to pick out. Maybe that's not a problem for pigs, but we have a pig with stone problems and are hyper careful about what we give her. No customer service problems. We are now using a nice batch of Small Pet Select 2nd cut timothy and the pigs love it.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:04 pm

FWIW, we just got some bluegrass and oat hay and so far so good. I haven't had reason to email them for a sample. I hope you got your answer by now, Sef.