Guinea pigs and COVID-19

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 pm

1.And can you tellme is it possible to put guinea pig on oxygen mask if he struggles to breathe?Can you do it at home or at the vets?
2.Do you think asthma drug will help him if he has any kind of other complications-his asthmatic anyway..but he doesnt need to be on medication..?
3.can gentamicin prevent alsoother secondary bacterial infections
4. can nebulizer makes lung distress or whatever you can get from virus worse or better?
5. what do you think of the use of gas mask?

First and formost we need gentamicin for bordetella infection, ..i am totally..out of it with worries..my dad is getting it tomorrow..

Our old vet is currently helping us and we re so grateful to him and his assistant..beyond words..

I ll write more tomorrow....if anbody can answer, i seriously need to preventually know all this..

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:43 pm

Lisa12, I wouldn't worry much about it. In all these months of the pandemic, the only cases I know of that involve guinea pigs with covid are the ones that are lab animals and were deliberately infected. Unless someone with COVID is spending a lot of time in a small area with your pigs, they're not likely to come down with.

I don't think anyone knows the answers to your questions, except for the one about oxygen and nebulization. A pig would have to be sedated to wear a mask. They could be put in a nebulization box and have oxygen (and other medications) delivered that way.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:38 pm

So, no cases in the USA as pets?

Thank you very much for you time and answer...i appriciate it. If someone is just checking if he s okay three times a day is okay with open door for ten minutes with a mask?

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 am

I dont even know how to write this..i would just like thanks again for all your knowledgable and emotional support we recieved here over the years.
When we had Kluivertka, Gallimore-Galli, Lee, I didnt know for this site, really...with Irie all just seem to fall together..with every pig we had special times..very..itwas so cute..cool..there hairs and characters..with irie we named him Irie Lee we just took it to another level..we really did..you helped us..and there were about 4 vets who helped us grately.
I was asking for me..my mum got infected..but i was completely stressed out,cause we immidiatly separated i did 101 thing to keep us separated..to now avail..she infected me..i love my mum..but i dont know how i ll be able to get along with her after this..this was always my problem with pigs..always something happened and i always blamed somebody..most of the time me..
So, I just got positive Pcr for covid. I am completely broken, i know that it can bevery dangerous to pigs..just let miracle happen..
My dad is taking care of irie cause i wasnt feelin well..and my mother were in isolation..now i am too...Dad is doin pcr again..first was negative..if this would be too..i just pray..really..
If he is not my sister will come, and take care for Irie-they are both feeling good. And Irie as well..
But he was in contact with me..I can just tell you..thatcause there are no words..how great little swines can be..right..and so is IRie..i lost my faithin everything after Ringo broke on through..and dad my grandad did..in everything. Forreal..Specially Irie and Ziggy a little seem to put it back..really..
I would give my lifeand everything for IRie to get out of this situation safely..
MY sister knows a lot about pigs, she knows vets, she s younger and more calm than me..so..I would sell me and my car and my room and all that money and known and unkown..just to make it somehow we pull through...
So, thanks my friends..thanks foreverything..we can only hope for the best..and my doctor knows how much irie means to me and she stricktly forbid my visits even with fttp2 to him, if we wont him safe..even if he s got pissy cage.and hay..she said..just leave him. LEAVE him. Nothing is 100% and you cant 100% protect with covid...actually i spent 10mintues on the phone talking about irie..instead of my corona situation..oh well..
Sorry, hop you dont mind long posts..IRie is more than 6 years old, asthmatic infected with bordetella since 3..but yet he s lion fighter...
Thats it for now..its gonna be hellish next week..and i feel pretty bad..totally low energy..get vaccinated-i didnt get partly cause i was pissed it doesnt protect fully and wont protect me from infecting Irie..Ziggy is with me sinc ei was sick..and even closer..and i hope she ll be alright too..
Hugs there in the USA:..and always tell your pigs they re outstanding phenomenal kings..cause one day..one day you know why you did it..;:,(
Irie is feeling well at the moment dad said..and we need miracle please..

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Lisa, I know that you must feel terrified. Let me try and inject some hope and positivity. You only see and hear the tragic end of the covid story. The cases, hospitalization and deaths are what you hear the most about on the news and it seems very scary. What you don't see or hear a lot about is the survival rates. Read this, follow your doctor's instructions to the letter and there is a 97% to 99% chance (based on any underlying health issues) of making a full recovery. https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-recove ... 2099.75%25.

I don't know what comorbidities you or your mom have and I pray that none of them are respiratory. Even with respiratory problems, there's a good chance of beating this. Several otherwise healthy members of my family; myself included caught covid and we all made a full recovery. I know that you will too. I'm sending you positive vibes and best wishes.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:34 pm

Lisa, I’m so sorry you are ill and so stressed. Do everything that @renonvsparky said, you have a very good chance of recovery. Rest, take care of yourself, and try not to stress. Our neighbors weren’t vaccinated and they all got Covid. They were sick but they all pulled through. Best wishes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:48 pm

Hoping for your recovery too!

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:01 am

Thanks to all!
I have mild fever(between 37,3 and 37,8),i feel very tired and have very sore throat..
Dad started feeling bad today.he s goingon pcr 12.50...

What about your pigs Renonvsparky?
Hope they didnt get infected.. I am afraid for Irie more than for me...He s in his room..and dad only sees him 10minutes twice per day.. For now he s feeling very well..my healthy sister is coming at afternoon to take care of him if dad is positivehe will move upstairst or downstairs so he will not be on the same floor as Irie.
Mum is feeling better her quaranteen ends on 7.12, my on 10.12...

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:12 pm

My family took care of the guinea pigs when I was sick. At that house, they were in their own room to protect them from the dog and cats, so I was able to stay clear of them. It was hard because I really missed feeding and holding them. I could barely walk around without getting faint from being winded, so it was more because of that than being worried about passing the virus to them. Even after I got well, I still had trouble with getting winded easily for the next 2-3 months. Some of that is because my physical conditioning is not the best. Bad back, knees and feet make doing cardio exercises difficult.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:11 am

I am glad your mighty herd stayedsafe!
Wish you the best, too..of course..

I am better..its very flu like this covid...my temperature fell and i hope i ll be okay till thursday completely. My mum is not sick anymore..i ll try to get my sister-(she s negative) to clean Iries cage one more time today or tomorrow and than i will be able to this week.. Hes doing well and ziggy was in contact with me and have no symptoms at all.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:21 am

I know it's possible for animals (some lion at a zoo) to get covid and I understand your anxiety. But I've seen no mention of any kind of pet getting covid and/or being really sick with it. Seems to me, if it can happen, it's still very unlikely that your pig will get sick. Still, it's good that you're taking precautions like any good pig mommy would do.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:36 pm

I have to avoid contact with my guinea pigs for another day or two. What I have is from contact with a rat infestation. It's my own fault. I totally forgot about using a mask to avoid breathing in the dust when I swept out the barn. I still have to get used to country life and dealing with the hazards in the country which don't exist where im used to living.

Luckily it wasn't Hantavirus and I'm mostly over it. My eyes are clear and the sore throat is mostly gone. I didn't want to risk infecting the guinea pigs with any diseases I may have come into contact with while cleaning up after the rats and getting rid of them.