Anybody order hay and/or pellets from Chewy?

tiggyswift

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 am

I just wondered if anybody ordered from Chewy and what you think of it. I used them recently for both hay and pellets (ordered separately) and both times I received my orders in less than 24 hours! I was very impressed by this and wondered if this is normal for them or if I just got lucky.

SSLee

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:14 pm

I love Chewy.com and try to order all my pet supplies through them whenever possible. Their customer service is top notch and they have 15 sites across the country. I live in California and it usually takes several days before I receive my orders, as the closest site to me is in Nevada. You must live near one of their sites if you were able to receive your orders in less than 24 hours.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:55 pm

I too get my orders in about 24 hours, 48 at the most. I hear they are a big supporter of rescues, too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:10 pm

Chewy has been excellent. I use auto ship and their customer service is great.

Last year I ordered a 9 lb bag of Oxbow Timothy instead of the 90 ounce I usually get. The quality wasn’t great, it was short cuttings of very course hay and my pig didn’t care for it. I wrote a 3-star review based on the quality, which is not their fault, and mentioned Chewy’s quick delivery time. Chewy saw the review and sent me an email stating they want their customers to be 100% satisfied. They refunded the purchase price and recommended I donate the hay to a local rescue. I was stunned!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:44 pm

Make sure you promptly take in deliveries! I posted a while ago about the local bear that made off with my neighbor's cat food!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 pm

I order from them regularly. Unfortunately, I think they are a subsidiary of Petco. They are very customer-focused, though, and I have been very impressed by the level of service and how quickly my orders arrive.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm

Lynx, that’s kinda funny. My dogs always alert me when a leaf blows down the street so I always know when my order arrives, ha ha.

Sef, I did not know that. I don’t like supporting pet stores if I can help it.

Itsazoo, I’m very impressed by that! I haven’t dealt with customer service yet but it’s nice to know that if I ever do have to contact them for some reason.
Last edited by tiggyswift on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSLee

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:16 pm

PetSmart bought Chewy in 2017 and my sister practically cried when I told her the news that Chewy was no longer independent. Her dog was on medication and died just before a refill was delivered. When my sister told the customer service rep that her dog had died, the rep refunded her the cost of the medication order.

tiggyswift

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 pm

SSLee I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your sister’s dog. That’s nice that they refunded the cost of the med.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:52 pm

I have mixed feelings about pet stores, I don't like the selling of live animals and not knowing the source of the animals. However, PetSmart provides space for rescued animals and they host rescue organizations in their stores. They also have PetSmart Charities which is an animal welfare organization that is highly rated by Charity Navigator.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:50 pm

I know they do all of that but I wish they didn’t sell small animals.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:06 pm

If you have a Pet People near you , they don't sell animals.
https://www.petpeoplestores.com/home.html

I don't like stores that sell animals either. That said, Petsmart does offer free space for adoptions and offer cash rewards to rescues through their in store adoption program. I guess it's an incentive to have adoptions in store as the adopters will most likely be buying supplies for the newly adopted pet from them.