Sorry just sure where to post this-diet questions

Carebearpiggy

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Hello,
Sorry I’m not sure where to post this. I have 3 girls (1 7.5 years and 2 2.5 yr olds). I thought I was doing their diet right but the more research I’ve done the more I get confused and I need a little assistance and I may be way over thinking this.
- pellets: oxbow adult guinea pig pellets (about 1/8 cup per piggy daily)
- hay: unlimited kaytee timothy hay and/or oxbow orchard grass hay
- water: they get clean bottled drinking or spring water daily
- no urinary concerns (not related to them, but did have a boar in the past get a bladder stone that was removed-but that was before I new much and he was getting way too much alafa)
- daily for the 3 piggies they get: red/green leaf lettuce, bell pepper (any color), a slice of cucumber (a hit and miss), baby carrots (1 a piece) (was told by a vet - baby carrot a day if fine), and 1 grape tomato a piece.
However I was feeding (going to make some adjustments where needed), usually 2 of of the following daily, but never any of the high calicum ones together.
- Clinatro 4xs a week
- parsley 2xs a week
- dadelion greens 2xs a week
- carrot tops 2xs a week
- broccoli 1x a week (I’m cutting this out now not a big hit now)
- Apple 1x a week (I’m cutting his out now not a big hit anymore) any suggestions on low calicum fruits that would be okay as a treat or just keep the tomatoes
- turnip greens 1x a week (I’m cutting this out now not a big hit any more)
- I was looking on suggestions for radicchio and endive how often they can have those. Even more so if I have to cut out one of the higher calicum veggies listed above.
Ps: I know they don’t like zuchini, green beans, any root veggie other than carrots.
What are some your veggie diets like?
Thank you,

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:18 pm

I generally point people to this page, which is fairly simple:
https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

If you are feeding quality hay and pellets and following general guidelines, I would not worry so much.
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

I'll move this to Cavy Chat.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:29 pm

There really isn't a magic formula for what to feed or how often. Most of us suggest feeding a variety of leafy greens and veggies that are fairly good sources of vitamin C, while avoiding higher calcium foods. If it were me, I'd eliminate the parsley, dandelion greens, turnip greens, broccoli and apple. Fruit in general is too full of sugar and not a good dietary choice.

Carebearpiggy

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Okay thank you. Question cause I’m getting conflicting information about Clinatro is it safe to feed everyday or should I keep it at the 4xs a week?

Carebearpiggy

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Sorry another question:
So I should be fine taking out the dadelion greens, parsley, apple and turnip greens. Keeping everything as is expect bumping the Clinatro to 3xs a week and adding in radicchio 4xs a weeks, endive 2xs a week and zucchini 3xs a week?
Last edited by Carebearpiggy on Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 pm

I wouldn’t feed cilantro daily. A sprig every once in a while for something different is okay but any of the calcuim veggies should be just occasional.

Carebearpiggy

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:05 am

I found the zucchini you can take the skin off so I think I’m going to try that

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:22 am

Agree on reducing the cilantro.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:45 am

If I read your post correctly, you have a Guinea pig that is 7 and a half years old. That's a very good long life for a Guinea pig. You're doing something right.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 pm

How much corn husk can you give guinea pigs? I have never given them to any of mine because fresh, raw husks were very hard to come by in Reno. Now that I've moved to rural Missouri, they abound and I can get as many as I want for free from the Town and Country Market. They have a scrap produce program for people with small animals. I gave some to all 12 of my piggies and they all snatched them right up and devoured them.

I'm worried most about Mr Bubbles because of his age. At 5 years old, he's a senior now and I don't want to give him anything that may cause health issues. I suppose nobody has told him he's a senior because he still has that pep in his step. Let's keep that as a secret! He still hops to the front of his cage to greet anyone who comes in to the room (as opposed to the younger pigs who casually walk up). He still gets excited and popcorns when I put him back in his freshly cleaned cage too.

I'm sure that moderation, as with most things should be observed. I guess the question is if corn husks are high in any mineral which can cause health issues. One example is that too much parsley can cause stones in some pigs because of the calcium content. Another one; and it's arguable is carrots, which are too high in sugars for some pig owners. Again, it's arguable. So how much corn husk is too much?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:00 pm

I tear the husks into strips about 1/2" wide, and just give 2-3 strips as a treat. I don't know what the limit would be, there isn't much info on corn husk nutrition or the fiber and sugar content.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:35 pm

I haven't been able to find much on corn husks as a food source, other than they are safe to give to guinea pigs. I err on the side of caution and only give them a small strip each every couple of days as a treat.