Introduced new pig--old pig losing weight

guinealover33

Post   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 am

Pig 1 is female, 7+ years old. She had her sister for the first 5 years of her life, until sister passed during surgery. At that time, the vet did not feel she was healthy enough for a new friend because of some ongoing health issues (we worried she could go any day back then.)

However, 2 years later, and she's spry and active and now vet has agreed she's doing well and we can try a friend (because we worry she is lonely.) Rescue had a lovely 2 year old female to adopt. After a few initial squabbles, they seem to have settled down and seem to be getting along really well in their cage.

Except...

Pig 2 is gaining weight. (We weigh daily.)

Pig 1 is losing weigh. She lost 30 grams the first day. 20 grams this morning. So 50 g total since new pig was introduced.

I've been watching them like a hawk. It doesn't seem like either of them are stopping the other from eating. There is TONS of food in the cage. Two water bottles. Two pellet bowls. You could almost be smothered by the hay. Two fleece tunnels. Several other pillows and beds in corners. We did floor time for the last two days. Maybe that was too much excitement... Pig 1 *does* seem very excited to have another pig around.

Is it possible this is just a reaction to the change of the introduction, or is having Pig 2 just not going to work out? (Which would break our hearts, we love her already, and they seem to get along well, but we can't have Pig 1 waste away to bones.)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:00 am

The problem may not be Pig 2 at all. Seniors do lose weight, and the extra exercise may have contributed.

I'd just take her out once a day for some Critical Care and see if things stabilize. But be aware that she may not regain the lost weight -- seniors often don't.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:00 pm

I also think that though this is a positive change, change can be somewhat stressful. Any animal under some stress (us included) may end up losing some weight. I am betting this was a change for the better.

guinealover33

Post   » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm

They do seem happy together. They seem like they are doing nothing but eating side by side all day. Except when they sit in their tubes and stare at each other. Or get up to investigate what the other is doing. I really think Pig 1 seems so much happier and active now that she can have a friend. And of the two of them, Pig 2 seems like the more chill personality. So I really don't feel like she's preventing Pig 1 from eating. And every time I go by the cage, they're eating like champs. We'll check her weight again in a bit. We do have critical care on hand.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1