General question about bonding three boars

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 9:48 am

I have one adult boar (3 yo) who I got as a cagemate for my resident boar who died a week later. The one I have now is super-chill, very quiet, and very patient (I think they are called Buddha pigs when they are like this?).

The shelter where I got him currently has two 8-week-old baby boars that are looking for a home, and I am ready to find companions for my boar.

What is the likelihood of success with bonding the three of them?

Space is not an issue. The enclosure I have would give them 32 square feet of hides, tunnels, and hay wall. I've cared for babies before, so I know I have to feed them different food, watch for different things.

I will stick with getting a single pig if that ends up being better for my boy, but I love the idea of giving two new piggies a fantastic forever home - especially when we have so much space. However, I also know that it is incredibly rare for more than two boars to get along. I figure with my current pig's laid back attitude and the babies being so young, it might work out. What would be the consensus on an arrangement like this? I will have an opportunity to introduce them briefly before I make the final decision.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 9:59 am

The likelihood of their living together is not good, at all. Two boars can be problematic but work, a whole herd the same. But three almost never works, and we never recommend it.

With 32 feet of space, how about splitting the cage, getting the young pair, and getting another singleton for the one you've got?

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 12:02 pm

This is why I come here and ask first!!

I'm not comfortable handling four. I'm the only one in the house who takes care of the piggies and I would only commit to three if they would all get along together.

I'm really glad I asked because I know my own limits and I'd rather take one additional and have it work well than take two and have to break them up because it doesn't work out.

Thanks so much for the reality check. I will probably be introducing a new boy here at the end of the week!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Four isn't much more work than three. One more anal sac to check, four more paws to clip. A few more veggies and pellets. A little more hay.

Just sayin'.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 25, 2021 4:16 pm

When they turn into adolescents, it will get really lively!

I have never had boars so have not had the challenges of having them get along.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 28, 2021 11:54 pm

Pairing even two boars and having the pairing stay strong is never a guarantee. If you can get them past the hormonal stage, which is around two years old, they'll usually stay bonded. I have one pair over 2 years old. Sammy and Dean still have the occasional disagreement but their bond is strong. My middle pair, Gilligan and Skipper are about a year and a half, but they seldom argue. The babies, Wilber and Grady are always after each other. It's usually not serious and I hope it stays that way. That is the pair I would place my bet on breaking down. I have to watch them very closely.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm

I have had several herds of boars with success. The one boar that didn't get along was - surprise - the brother of two of the other boars. I think you absolutely can consider a trio or more of boars, especially if there are no sows and you give them a lot of space. I have three boars now, who were introduced to each other over time by their former owner. They were not all babies upon introduction and they are completely unrelated. They get along fine. If your boar is currently very chill and used to a companion, ask to bring him for a meet and greet. I think also we need to consider that "getting along" is relative. If there are no fights, then why not? They don't have to be best boar friends to cohabitate well. Worse comes you put in a grid divider. You said you had a lot of space.

Winnie the Pooh

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:09 pm

I just posted a question about bonding an older female and younger males, but I do have experience with bonding 3 males. I've had pigs for 25 years. I have done this pairing a few times, a single older male (after cage-mate died) with two very young brothers. Both times it worked out wonderfully!

I was afraid the older one would be overwhelmed or ignored by the boys, but they all seemed to interact well with each other. There was quite a bit of enthusiastic humping in the beginning, but that quickly settled down. Then, there was definitely an issue of excessive "boarfume" when the boys hit puberty, but there was never an instance of arguing or aggression. Every once in awhile a young one would challenge him with "my nose can go higher than yours", but that is as far as it went.

But, as in any pairing, personalities matter. The boys would bouncing up and down like ping pong balls while the older one would calmly eat and take naps. Both my older guys were laid-back, maybe that was the difference. There is always a chance things will go awry as the young ones grow older, so you always need to have a contingency plan to separate them in the future.