Question about bonding a boar to a herd of 3 sows

Retve

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:32 am

A few weeks ago my first guinea pig Hazel passed away (She's the pig in my avatar). She was the leader of my herd of 4 female guinea pigs.

Now the herd has 3 members, Ginger (roughly 2.5 years old) along with Pumpkin and Biscuit (roughly 3.25 years old). Currently there's no real clear leader of the herd but Pumpkin is definitely the most submissive of the 3, Ginger and Biscuit sometimes argue with each other but nothing serious.

At some point in the future I'd like to adopt a new guinea pig to join the herd. I've never had a boar but I was wondering how likely it would be to bond one with my sows? The boar would be neutered of course. I know it'll depend on the guinea pigs themselves but I was wondering if anyone has had good success with that kind of dynamic. I could get another sow instead but I was interested in my options since there tends to be more male guinea pigs up for adoption.

Thanks for reading.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:38 am

I think it usually works pretty well. Just have a HUGE neutral area for the introductions, and give them lots and lots of time. Also, make sure you've got a really big cage.

Just don't expect him to be the leader of the pack. It seems that there's usually a dominant sow that assumes that role.

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html before you start the process.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:27 am

I have serious apprehension about spaying or neutering guinea pigs. I know it has a good success rate, but to me, it's unnecessary by virtue of the fact that you can have a healthy and happy herd of either sows or boars and totally eliminate the possibility of them multiplying. That being said, a neutered boar among sows can be a success. Just remember that you have to wait at least two weeks after neutering before you put him with the girls.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:08 pm

Four weeks after neutering, not two. Guinea pig sperm are very long-lived.