Pigs that bite, and I don't mean a nip here & there

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:11 pm

I'm glad we put a picture up. It helps to see who the little guy is!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:22 pm

Glad to hear he wasn't abused, but pigs whose owners don't have time for them can become somewhat withdrawn. Doesn't sound like Peanut has that issue, but not being accustomed to being handled would make him apprehensive, as opposed to pigs who are used to it. Some come around to you handling them and some don't. I still think it would help if you put tunnels or a hidey hut or two down for him. If nothing else, it would remind you that he's there and to be more careful. He might even enjoy exploring them!

Mizz P

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:33 pm

I am curious to know how old Peanut is and how long you have been caring for him? My husband and I adopted a young-ish (1-2 year-old Spork) boar from a local shelter in late May and Spork was a biter. On the rare occasion that I could get him out of his cage he was relatively docile but when he was in the cage, it was a totally different ballgame. I could start to scratch the top of his head with one finger and he'd whip around and snap at me. You could even hear the "chomp" sound as I moved my hand away. My husband couldn't get near Spork without getting the "CHOMP."

We went on vacation in mid-September and took Spork with us. While we were at our vacation residence I got into the habit of sitting on a sofa right next to Spork's cage every evening after dinner. His cage was about a foot off the ground. I'd just read or sew and I'd talk to him while he ate hay or dozed. I didn't attempt to pet him or touch him in any way. Six weeks later, by the time we all returned home, Spork is much mellower and can be scratched and petted by both my husband and me.

My theory is that he might have been at an age where he was just really, really territorial AND he didn't yet trust us. Maybe bonding with us by just sitting near him in his safe space was what he needed. He is still quite skittish and it's hard to snag him to get him out of the cage but at least now I can simply reach in and pet him without worrying about being bitten. Maybe Peanut needs some mellow time and a little more time under his belt. Hope this helps and good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:46 am

Glad this worked for you!

What happens when you do pick him up? Are you afraid that "petting trust" will be ruined? Do you talk to him, warn him, say you are going to pick him up so he differentiates it from petting which is now welcome?

Mizz P

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:18 pm

In an effort to not destroy the "petting trust" (perfect term, btw), when I try to pick him up and he bolts I just take my hands out of the cage and talk to him gently until he comes back out and then I pet him to let him know that I'm honestly not trying to eat him! Oddly, if I can get him into his hay box and he faces into the corner, away from me I can easily pick him up. It's the craziest thing - if he's looking at me, no dice and if he's looking away it's fine. This is our second pig (the first was an elderly boar who passed away in the spring) and we are learning that each truly has their own personality. As an aside, we have sent our first deceased pig to a company in Southern California to be freeze-dried. I'll report on THAT later!

daj

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:36 pm

Peanut is probably about 2. He's been handled plenty with no problems. The biting problem started when his mate broke the divider between them and the two of them went at it for about 10-15 seconds before I got to them. I don't even remember how I separated them. All I do remember is that I stuck my bare hands into it and I recall Peanut swinging around in the air with his teeth sunk into the back of my hand. He didn't get a scratch on him, but Pinky, the initiator, got scratched up/bitten pretty good. We were all shaken up. Ever since Peanut had to defend himself like that, it's like it brought out the wild in him, and he's now a lot more inclined to react as if he's being threatened and attacked. He snapped at me just the other night when I was holding the box open for him to get into so I could get him off the floor and back into the pen.

I've found my solution to my problem of getting drops into his ears though. I use a mango box to get him in and out of the pen. The key to safely working with him is for him to be in a position where he feels less safe and not so confident and aggressive, otherwise he's like a miniature lion. When he's in the mango box, we now go out on the front step. Outside he's a different animal, much more timid and submissive. On the step I can get him wrapped in a towel, and from there it's easy to get the drops in his ears. Little pain in the butt.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:24 pm

You are very patient and observant. And I think have a good analysis of the situation. Glad you've figured out a way to get his ear drops in!

I hope someday he regains his trust and is not so fearful.