Moving Internationally

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 pm

Hello all!!

I am meant to move from Washington, DC to Geneva, Switzerland this fall. There are a lot of things about that which should stress me out, but right now the only thing I'm bothered about are my pigs :)

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience flying with guinea pigs since the pandemic began. It seems that several airlines have suspended pet shipping since the pandemic began, and (unrelated to the pandemic) there are no longer any airlines that will allow guinea pigs in cabin on international flights.

I'm speaking with a pet shipper, but they've indicated that the pigs will likely have a layover in Frankfurt of several hours to "possibly a day." Several hours is one thing, but a day seems far too stressful for them, to me. I suspect they won't eat or drink. Has anyone done this? Dog people rave about the "pet lounge" and staff in Frankfurt, but I never trust that facilities like that know anything about guinea pigs.

My guinea pigs will be 5 and 6 by the time we move. They both have a history of interstitial cystitis. My boar, Gus Gus recently developed molar spurs and other tooth issues which necessitate regular filing, and my sweet Peppa Pig had a hormone implant put in this week to deal with a cyst on her ovary. (She only has one ovary. Long story.) All that to say they are not infirm, but at the same time require a great deal of care that I want to make sure they continue to get and am determined to keep them with me.

It is looking like it might be best for me to leave them with friends or family for a week and have them shipped as manifest cargo on a non-stop flight after I arrive in Switzerland, but I haven't discussed that with the pet shipper yet. I welcome any advice or personal anecdotes anyone has!! Thank you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:24 am

The little info we have (a few posts here and there) is rather old and would likely not be of help. I surely hope whichever route you go works out for you!

Here is a collection of links - however, as I mentioned, many are old. You may have to do a lot of leg work to get answers.
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=124

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:08 am

We flew an older guinea pig to Germany from New Jersey when my dad was reassigned. She was a 5 year old Peruvian and she made it just fine, but that was almost 40 years ago and she was in very good health. As Lynx said, you'll have to do some legwork.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 pm

Thanks! Yes, I have done a ton of research, to include on these forums and on international pet/expat Facebook groups but I can't seem to find actual people who have moved recently with their guinea pigs. Or ever used Lufthansa and their pet lounge for anything other than a dog or a cat.

Although the fact that your five year old pig made it to Germany ok 40 years ago is reassuring, @renonvsparky !!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:42 pm

As I said, at 5 years of age, Chico was in very good health. I'd be apprehensive if there were any health problems.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1