The whole story

Feylin

Post   » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:26 pm

I think that's ok, particularly if you get rid of pigloos (they take up so much space) and have houses with smaller footprints.

More baby experienced people will be along soon to help. :)

mmercedesmom
Supporter in '09

Post   » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Lucky Red and Gopher! I think 2 x 4 is fine too, especially if they are getting along fine in a smaller cage. They may be scared of all that space at first!

linda_chicha
For Pigs' Sake

Post   » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Ditto to mmercedesmom. I put both my pregnant foster in 2x3 in the beginning. After the babies around 1 week and they are getting bigger, I expanded. They seemed really overwhelmed with the space. All the babies usually stay close to momma in a pigloo in the beginning.

Suisan

Post   » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be taking the 2 x 4 the shelter has already built for them home with me when I bring them home for fostering on Friday.

Is it accurate to say that once you feel movement the birth is about two weeks away? I remember reading that once, and now I can't remember on what thread it was. Searching is giving me so many results I've thrown my hands up.

Suisan

Post   » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:08 pm

I've got them both home.

Pictures tomorrow when they're not so freaked out.

But "Red" is suddenly enormous. I'll weigh her, although it won't do a heck as they weren't getting weighed at the shelter, so I can't track her weight gain. But she suddenly went wide. Yipes.

I'll have both "Red" and "Gopher" here through Thanksgiving and until "Red" gives birth. (Names are in quotes as my eldest daughter is strenuously objecting to their given names. We'll see what happens.) Then they trot back to the shelter after weaning.

Suisan

Post   » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:49 pm

I had to sweep out their cage so I got a few pictures of Red and Gopher looking almost completely terrified. "Red" has a small tricolor marking on her face, so ended up being named Red. Which is confusing because she's mostly white. Gopher is mostly black and much smaller than Red. Her fur is softer too -- she must be quite young. If they are together Gopher tucks herself almost completely under Red. Red was about the same size as Sylvie, mentioned above, when they were in the shelter together.

Red and Gopher together. In this one you can see how lopsided Red's belly is.

Red's face with Gopher hiding behind.

Red from above.

Very hard to get pictures of Gopher. She's much more likely to run away whereas Red still freezes.

Suisan

Post   » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:31 pm

We have Babies!!

Two mostly black males with white stripes on their faces. The larger one may be a female and is quite active. The smaller one who looks more obviously male was cuddling up next to Gopher and is a little weaker. I put a fresh fleece scrap in the preferred corner and tucked the babies back in.

Pictures tomorrow when everyone settles in.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:33 pm

Congratulations to the new momma. Will be happy to see pictures.

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Congrats on a safe arrival!

natrat65

Post   » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:28 am

Can't wait to see pictures of the babies. Thank you for helping these pretty piggies.

sammianne

Post   » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:49 pm

Yay for babies! I'm so glad you were able to foster these girls and allow the pups to be born in a good environment. Thank you so much for helping these piggies. I hope everyone is doing well today & can't wait to see pics!

Suisan

Post   » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 am

"Help. This lady stuck me in a box today to change our fleece. Help."

"The dark lumps you see next to me are babies. Or so I've been told."

(Poor Red. She only either looks harassed or scared. My daughter took the little ones to get some pictures. We've not been terribly creative yet with names. The larger one we're calling "Baby" and the smaller one is "Teeny". This serves to remind us that we must get names for them ASAP.)

Baby is bigger, has more white, a splash of red, and may be a female. S/he has been hard to sex -- if I can get pictures I'll ask for some advice.)

Baby from the back:

And some of Teeny:

(I can't figure out why the two of Baby are so big. I've got them cropped in photobucket. I closed and restarted firefox to dump my cache, and still those two are turning up here as the non-cropped huge versions. Very Odd.)