The Tale of My Insane Cavies

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Yes, they are stunning!

Much appreciated, 3LP. I didn't want to impose on anyone but couldn't afford to leave them with the vet.

CavyPrincesses

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 am

I love them all!! Specially DUff with that look on his eye! :D

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:38 pm

Oh gosh . . . I brought home another foster today . . .

Check out his thread in Cavy Chat!
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55470

Sidera17

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:36 am

He is so cute! I can't get enough of him! :D

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Lovely pics!!! Welcome new piggie!!!!

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Hoo boy, I got suckered in again. The rescue just got about 30 pigs from a hoarding case. They need fosterers . . . so guess what? I'm bringing home another boy on Saturday. Well, the more the merrier, I guess! I'm hoping he will get along with Speedy and they can share a cage, since Blade started fighting with him after a few days. If that doesn't work, we'll try him with Blade and Sparky. If that doesn't work, well, we will just have to use 4 cages.

And speaking of Saturday, I'll be at the MD Pet Expo at the MGPR booth. Snickers, Sparky, and Blade will be there too, as spokespigs. If you're coming, be sure to stop by and say hi!

Also, this is quite off-topic, but I'm getting my first car soon! I'm planning on getting a used late-'90s Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0L I6 engine and manual transmission. I don't even have it yet, but I already can't wait to drive around all summer with the roof and doors off, wind in my face, and AC/DC blasting. ;) I'm not sure the pigs will appreciate the bumpy ride, though.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 pm

I figured it was about time to catch this thread up to speed . . .

Elsie passed away on February 24, 2010. She had broken her leg a few weeks earlier, and had been going downhill. However, the night before she passed away, she started using her broken leg a bit, so I thought she might be improving. The next day, though, she was just lethargic and the spark was gone from her eyes. I held her as she passed away. It was painless and peaceful for her. We all miss her, but I'm relieved to know that she's no longer suffering with her broken leg and missing fur and aging body. She was a wonderful pig. She'd been with me since January 15, 2007, and stayed for just over three years. She was 5-6 years old.

Snickers is doing pretty well. He has his ups and downs. Sometimes his bladder stones and arthritis hurt him and no amout of medication helps. But most days he acts like he's still a baby, running around with hardly any stiffness. I've been having him share a cage with some of the fosters that come though. When I was keeping him separated, he was pretty inactive and depressed. But now that he has babies to chase around, he is a new pig!

Sparky and Blade were adopted in February by a family who had visited the site, and happened to meet them at the Pet Expo and fell in love. If I hadn't been keeping an eye on them, I think they would have smuggled the pigs out under their coats! ;) Speedwagon was adopted along with a MGPR girl in March. I also wound up fostering his little brother, Racecar (momma came in with a litter AND pregnant!). He was adopted on Sunday by a couple who had attended the previous meet but weren't ready to adopt. They had adored Speedwagon, and were disappointed when he was adopted that day. However, they were happy to hear his little brother would be up for adoption soon. It was love at first sight between Racecar and their girl, but there was a bit of squabbling on the way home.
Here's a photo of the two brothers:

Precious and Glenda are a 3-year-old pair of girls who are sweet as can be. Precious has pretty advanced cataracts, and is pretty much blind. Glenda had some endometrial tumors which caused quite a bit of drama when I discovered them the day after Elsie's death, but the problem was quickly resolved by spaying her.
These two are just wonderful. They're big, squishy, huggable lumps. I can't believe nobody has adopted them yet!

I also have Frenchie, the demon pig. She got along well with Snickers and Racecar for a while, but when I rearranged my pairings and put her with Precious and Glenda, things went crazy. Everyone seemed to be getting along just fine, so I didn't think there would be any problems while I went out of town overnight. But when I got home, Glenda had jumped OUT of the cage and was hanging out underneath it! Precious was hiding in the hayloft, and screamed whenever I came near her. Frenchie had been terrorizing them. I put her up with Snickers and two babies, and that seemed to work well. Until she started attacking the tiny babies . . . needless to say, she is now is solitary confinement.

And finally, I also have two new babies! They're exactly one month old today. These two are loud!

This is Digit:

And this is Peeper:

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Can I say cuteness abounds in your home? :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat May 01, 2010 12:38 am

I'm sorry about Elsie. Your new babies are lovely.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 pm

I have a new piggy!
His name is Scooby. He's a 7-year-old, unneutered male. GuineaPinny adopted him from a shelter a few months ago (who would abandon a 7-year-old in a shelter!?), in hopes that he would get along with her pigs. They didn't get along, so I asked to try introducing him to Snickers. It was successful! They bicker a little bit, but altogether enjoy each others' company and follow each other around all the time.

They look a lot alike. Whenever I see a nose peeking out behind the coroplast or from inside an igloo, I really can't tell whose it is. Scooby moves a lot more easily than arthritic Snickers, and is already learning to wheek for veggies, while Snickers prefers to gnaw down the coroplast.

I've also got some foster pig updates. Precious and Glenda were adopted by a very nice family with two girls. Speedwagon was adopted, but I didn't get to meet his new family. Racecar was adopted by a couple with a tiny baby teddy, but he unfortunately passed away just a few weeks later. A necropsy was done, but it was inconclusive on whether or not he suffered from the illness that his mom and sister suffered from. We had assumed he was free of it, since he had gone through his neuter with no complications.

I've also had a few new fosters:
Superfudge and Squeaky, an absolutely wonderful older pair who were returned to the rescue. They were really some of my favorite fosters ever. They've been adopted.

Rani, a nice little girl who was adopted last month.

Feya, another girl from the Frederick hoarder case, who is now staying with another foster mom.

And these two are my current fosters. They are two shy brothers who have been in the rescue since birth, and have just had no luck getting adopted. I've had them for two months.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:53 am

What a great bunch of pigs! I love the young 'uns sticky-up ears!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 pm

Oh my my, what handsome faces.
Is that Snickers or Scooby with the goofy face in the second picture? :)