One Little, Two Little, Three Little Guinea Pigs

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:42 am

I'm not so sure how much of a keeper mine is, LOL, but we hit 44 years last November.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Wow!! I'd call him a definite keeper then, no two ways about it. Congrats to all.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I once again have a burrower! Flossie was the resident burrower, back before she died, and I've not had one since. Until I brought home Belle, who promptly taught Dusty. Now I have all three under the hay pad. I've moved the hay to hangers, but it hasn't helped much. Yesterday I gave them a stiff pad that they can crawl into/through. I don't know why the fleece tunnel isn't a more popular item, maybe it's too short. Anyway, since I gave them the pad yesterday, I've not seen a single "hole" under the hay pad. Maybe this is what I need to keep them out from under it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the fungul infectons/spots, Dusty seems a lot better but Belle seems a lot worse. Dusty has one on her nose, kind of close to her eye so I'm being very careful when I put the medicine on it. She's growing hair back on the worst one on her hip. Poor Belle, it seems like I keep finding new ones every day. These spots seem painful to the touch for both babies, but especially the ones with the "scabs" on them. Or at least, they want me to think I'm killing them with the medicated q-tip.

I might be making up for it with some lettuce pieces afterward. They both take them from my hand and Dusty has started taking them from my hand in the cage. Belle, on the other hand, still won't come near me while she's in the cage and much prefers to take the lettuce from Dusty's mouth.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 pm

Refresh my memory regarding if you've also treated for mites. I am sure you know how common they are too!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:09 pm

Shoot! No, I've not treated for mites. Didn't even think of those. That's Ivomec/Iver-something, right? Are they old/big enough? They are still less than 300 grams.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:37 pm

If they're less than 350 grams, you'll need to get kitten Revolution for them.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Ok, thanks bpatters!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:07 am

As promised, here are some current pics of Dusty:

ImageDusty #1 1.27.18

ImageDusty #2 1.27.18

ImageDusty #3 1.27.18

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for the pictures! I especially like the middle one with the perky ears and smile.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:25 am

My favorite, too.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

I sometimes wish I could plug Fuzzbutt. She produces the mushiest poops. Nothing new, except that now she, or they, seem to be smearing them across the fleece. I can no longer wait the 3 days to flip, or 2 days to change out their quilts. It's just too gross looking.

Yesterday, I gave Fuzz a medicated shampoo. I usually use 2 towels to dry off the pig, plus one more to wrap them up in until they are mostly dry. Fuzz pooped and peed in all of them plus one more! And they weren't the kind of poops you can just shake out.

I think she hates me. I cannot hold her without using a pad between us because she poops and/or pees on me every time. I already have been very careful when picking her up because she usually has it stuck to her feet. The vet has me using Bene-Bac daily (1 cc) but so far, if anything, it's made the problem worse. On the upside, she has finally stopped biting me (although I've felt her bite and pull on the pad under her a couple of times).

Her fungal infection is definitely clearing up - a few small spot around her face and a few more around her body. I've pointed out to her vet the extra thin fur/hair on right hip and stomach several times. Since x-rays show no sign of cysts and she doesn't seem to be in pain, the vet isn't too concerned. The thin hair has been this way for months, or maybe longer. I tried rubbing Gentizol on it and the medicine made absolutely no difference. I never see her chewing or scratching at it, at least no more than any other areas.

She still runs from me in the cage, as does Dusty, but yesterday Belle actually let me pet her in the cage. Twice! I find that extra exciting. And speaking of Belle, I think I have a couple of recent photos of her.

ImageBelle #3 3.5.18

ImageBelle #2 3.5.18

And a couple of Dusty:

ImageDusty #1 3.5.18

ImageDusty #3 3.5.18

I tried to get some of Fuzz, but they didn't turn out. She's so hard to photograph!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:08 am

Your guinea pigs are so adorable!

I really hope the poops firm up. I can imagine this is discouraging for you (messy).