using a dremel to reduce the quick on nails

Ylinari

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:56 am

I just started working at an animal hospital and I've just recently heard of using a dremel tool on dogs to reduce their quick. Has anyone ever gotten this procedure done on their guinea pig? Is it humane? I don't know anything about it really so I wanted to see if anyone on here has anything to say about it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am

It is one method that has been suggested. I think individual guinea pigs may "not mind" a dremel or "not like the noise" of a dremel. One can accustom them to a method.

If you try it, make sure you do not use too aggressive grinding and you identify where the quick is so you know not to grind too far.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm

I've never tried it (I have a Dremel), but I always feared that pigs might not stand for it much. One reason would be that they may be afraid of the noise. The other reason is that they would dislike it because it would mean confining them even more than if you were using a clipper. Clipping the nail is fast. Dremeling the nail would take longer. I'd also be afraid of getting the grinder head against some other part of their body during the process and causing an injury, since they tend to struggle. Their little toes are so close together. How do you single out one toe and not touch the skin on other toes? These would be my concerns.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 am

I would never do it. I have a Dremel. This idea gives me visions of the Dremel slipping off and hurting the pig. The noise and vibration would create a distrust that would be hard to overcome. All not worth the risk.

I usually have Rex pigs, their quick runs even much further than standard, and their nails curl even harder. I clip them, but they stay longer than other pigs. I do put concrete tiles before their kitchen area, to reduce nail clipping sessions, to keep the nails less sharp. Those tiles get cleaned in my dishwasher, together with their bowl.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:02 am

I bought a small one a few years ago, just to see if it could be used on their nails. Quickly realized that it would be totally impractical and a bad idea once I saw how loud they get and how hard it would be to get a pig to sit still for it. Even with the most cooperative pig, I could see the potential for injury (as a another member pointed out, it could get tangled up in fur or "Dremel" something by accident), and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Can't remember if I returned it or gave it to my dad for his shop, but I no longer have it.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 pm

I have seen ads on TV for a purpose built dog and cat nail grinder and Dremel seem to have one they are marketing as for pets but i dont think I would ever try either of them on our piggies.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/- ... structions

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:18 pm

I tried my small dremel on my pigs. The first pig seemed to freeze in fear, the rest wouldn't let me near them with it. Out with THAT idea. ;o)

Lunatic Pandora

Post   » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:14 am

I would have thought something like an electronic foot file would be safer to use (kind of like this?). It's designed for use on human feet, so it's powerful enough to remove hard skin, but not so powerful that it could cause damage. I imagine it's a lot quieter than a Dremel - I have one at home, and it makes a light buzzing sound. I haven't actually used it on the pigs, as I wasn't even aware you could trim their nails with anything other than clippers until I saw this thread.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Husband has been looking into a nail grinder made by Luckytail. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Unfamiliar with it. Have you ever tried a dremel?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Husband used one when he worked in a lab.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:35 pm

I just take mine to the vet and pay the $12.50 to have them do it. Well worth every penny.