Spencer's Abscess

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:24 am

So glad to hear he’s doing well!

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:52 pm

The hole on his chin closed. I've emailed his vet to see if they'll reopen it or if i should start preparing for the worse 😭

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:26 pm

When you say it is closed, is it possible this is the final result of the healing or do you think there is still infectious material inside?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Keeping fingers crossed that perhaps it is finally healed up. Let us know what the vet says.

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:36 pm

On his last visit when they put him on pallative care....the vet said the new xrays showed the infection is now in the jawbone and nothing can be done. He'd be on AB until he declines then i have to make the decision to euthanize. I'm afraid if it's closed the infection has nowhere to drain and hell get an abscess again. He has an appt monday morning. I'll keep an eye in the area and if something forms hell be going in sooner. I'm currently at our other house on vacation 6 hours away from our vet so I'm leaving in the morning to head back just in case (spencers with me).

RyanMarie24

Post   » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:49 pm

[img]]

[img]]

My baby

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:09 am

He looks like such a sweetheart. I know how worried you are.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 am

He is an absolute cutie. Did the vet respond back when you emailed him/her?

RyanMarie24

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:57 pm

So the hole seems to of reopened after using a warm compress. I will continue those. He has a little oozing that smelled a little. I was tempted to ask if we could try Chloramphenicol as I've read it's good with bone infection. He was on it once and had soft poop but it was right after surgery so I'm not sure if it was from that or then surgery. He is still on the Orbax.

The vet wrote back and said:
If the tissues under the skin behave themselves and don't try to abscessate again then no...but if something tries to form again without having an 'exit path' then yes....

SO in other words if it's closed because it's RESOLVED, we're good.  Only a little time will tell - keep me posted!

Warren Briggs, DVM

Hospital Director

The Ocean County Veterinary Group

Ocean County Veterinary Hospital

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:57 pm

If it's oozing and smells, there's infection in there, and you need to flush it. Keep it open by picking the scab off if one forms -- you can soften it first with a warm compress.

daj

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:13 pm

I dealt with an abscess on one of mine, on the side of his jaw. He was on an AB and I used warm compresses to get it to ooze. Once it did, I would massage as much puss as would come out each day. Day by day it diminished and that was the end of it. I hope your piggie has a miracle turn around. You definitely want an exit and to keep getting that puss getting out of there.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:28 pm

Depending on the exact location and issue, a curved tip syringe like this can be used to flush out infected matter with a warm, sterile saline solution.