Filtered water question

squeaky3

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:41 pm

My guinea pigs over the years have all had bladder stones/urethra stones and also 2 cases of chronic heart failure.

My tap water in incredibly hard, TDS 400+. I have an RO unit for my aquariums.

My question is: Pure RO water is not safe to drink on its own or cook with, it actually sucks minerals out, but I want my guinea pigs to have less calcium in their water. If I cut the tap water with half RO, would this work? Or are there any mineral supplements which can be added back in to the filtered water (essentially, this is what I do for my fish tank, take the minerals out and then add back in the correct ratios with a special powder designed for fish)

Charcoal filters like Brita etc don't work to remove the calcium levels, only chlorine.

Thanks in advance!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Is there any bottled water relatively free of hard minerals? I am sorry you don't live around here because there are well sources that have pretty soft water. Mine is very soft. It did not prevent my guinea pigs from developing stones though. I blame romaine for that.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:42 am

I used to buy low calcium bottled water when I lived in an area with high calcium tap water. Usually, cheap brands offer that. Known brands and more expensive ones add calcium even for human consumption.