Piper Med Thread

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:43 am

Sorry to post twice in a row, but it's too late to edit. I just talked to the veterinarian. We're going to try a anti-inflammatory to see if that helps. She said her bladder might just be inflamed. She did mention the stones that came out were brown, not white. The vet said that if it continues she will try to get a stone to send in to a lab for testing, and we can try an ultrasound to see if there is something more happening in the bladder. We're going to give it until Monday.

Has anyone ever dealt with brown stones? What could it be? I've had stone pigs before, and they've shown them to me and they are white. I guess that would explain why I haven't noticed anything in the cage. I know even using Carefresh when I've had pigs with stone issues the calcium can deposit on the bottom of the cage. I've not seen anything like that with her.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:59 pm

In June Piper had blood in her urine again. Same meds and blood went away. On Saturday morning (July 30th) there was blood again in her urine. We started her on same meds Saturday and no more blood. Has anyone had something similar happen? The meds seem to fix the problem, but it seems to be a recurring problem so I'm not sure if we're just band-aiding something more serious.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:59 pm

I wrote above, "If you've read a bunch here, you may have noticed that there have been reports that on rare occasion there can be spotting that is possibly associated with a menstrual cycle."

Have you been logging the dates? Are they regular?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 pm

It’s been about a month since it happened last time. But it was about 5 months before that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:50 pm

I cannot say if it could be normal (but rare) or if there is a problem. When you see a small amount of blood, do you give antibiotics right away? Has the bleeding ever gone away on its own in a day or two? Any accompanying signs of illness?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:59 pm

I've never left it alone to see if it goes away on it's own. Sometimes there can be quite a bit of blood in the cage, and other times it's just a little bit. I do know that the first two times she did have blood pop up a few days after starting the meds. She's not had blood yet in her cage since Saturday morning.

Her behavior never changes. She acts normal and doesn't seem to be in pain. There's no signs of a problem except the blood.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:30 am

Without reading back, does this occur at regular intervals? Could she be one of those rare sows that bleeds during heat?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:51 pm

It's only happened three times. It happened in January, June and then last Saturday.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Does it appear to be pink urine, or actual blood? If it's actual blood, and you only see it for maybe a day, I'd bet on breakthrough bleeding during her heat cycle.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:15 pm

It's not pink urine, it's actual blood. I hope that's what it is. I've had her for several years and never noticed it before, and there is no way I'd miss it. Sometimes there is quite a bit of blood. Like I'm surprised to see her still standing and moving around because it looks like a crime scene. There is literally never a change in her though. If not for the blood, I'd think nothing was going on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:27 pm

Not rereading but you have had her checked for pyometra? (an infection of the uterus)

You also examined her to try to confirm the blood was from the genital area and not, for example, a torn toenail? They can really bleed.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:19 pm

Maybe cystitis? I think it was our Gracie who had cystitis & repeated blood in the urine but no bacteria. Grace had ongoing stone problems and on top of that was eventually was diagnosed with inflamed bladder. We got a product called Cystease on the internet from England and it seemed to help. Once she passed a long string of blood clots. Definitely bloody.