Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:08 pm

how do i know if the gut slows down? less eating?

my issue is, what if my pig refuses metacam for pain from a syringe for example? as in not chewing so it means she could choke if i decide to administer the medicine in her mouth.

were can i buy metoclopramide? is that administered from a syringe as well?

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:25 pm

for critical care, i remember i messed around with it trying to get the right amount of ratio between critical care and water but i was never able to (either came out too watery or too tick). i never got to use it since my male pig refused anything (no chewing when inserting a syringe or movement). was never thought by anyone either.

any help or advise appreciated (i read the postop link allot back then and reviewed it again just now as well).

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:59 pm

found a video for critical care. never mind that part

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:26 am

I have 2 critical care that have a best used by date on March and June 2021. Is this still usable or should I get new ones?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:29 am

When my guinea pig wasn’t eating, I found an extra fine Critical Care in papaya flavor that she liked. It was a lot smoother to mix and seemed to have a better flavor than the original or the apple banana.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 am

My pig loves banana. Think apple banana is the one I have that are past date.

One thing I noticed today is she hasn't eaten much hay today. She has eaten everything else but that. That is why I was considering feeding a bit of those expired critical care if it is alright to give those expired ones.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm

surgery is scheduled for the 25th. some questions:

my pig has slowly been ignoring her hay except hard pieces and the fuzzy flowers. i mostly got leafy kind of hay. i did obtain Metoclopramide and a new bag of critical care. should i use any of those 2 over the other to maybe entice her to eat more hay? remember she is on the antibiotic enrofloxacin

what if my pig refuses Metacam for pain from a syringe for example? as in not chewing so it means she could choke if i decide to administer the medicine in her mouth. is there anything i can do?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:44 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as her mouth and throat are clear, she won't choke. You just need to make sure the syringe you're using is in her mouth far enough. 6 days is a long way out in terms of keeping her weight up. You can do it! She's helping you out by continuing to eat some on her own. Keep very close tabs on her weight. You also have to keep in mind that reduced chewing and eating on her own can allow her teeth to overgrow. If you can find a toy or something you can get her to chew on, that will help prevent that from happening. Good luck and our thoughts are with you.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:45 pm

Metoclopramide isn't an appetite stimulant; it's to help keep the gut moving if it slows down due to not eating enough or sluggish motility after surgery. I'd suggest handfeeding Critical Care to try to keep her eating and to keep her weight stable.

You're giving her such a small amount of Metacam (0.15cc) that it would be hard for her to choke on that, I'd think.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 pm

yea, i did feed critical care. 1 syringe full and she did all the work. she loves bananas and it was apple and banana flavor. once i dropped her back in her cage, she did go to the hay on the floor of the hay box and hate a little bit of hay but that was about it. it wasn't enough to make me comfortable but it is something.

i was always told that if you place the syringe a bit inside a guineas mouth and they still don't chew that you should not administer anything because it may make its way into their lungs. this was just an example of what happened with my male pig and thought i should ask.

the only toy she even pays attention is the loofah and I'm not gonna use that anymore. i have 2 others that use natural material but she pays no mind to them because they are soft texture. just like the hay, she loves hard veggies, hay and toys (because of the loofah)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 pm

The syringe needs to go back and to the side, and then jiggle it a little. The jiggling can encourage chewing. With anything like Critical Care or larger amounts of medication, or of course water, yes---you don't want them to aspirate on it. And if they're not chewing, it can most certainly happen. But to squirt that small of an amount of Metacam (that's just a bit more than the tip of the syringe), especially if you angle it to the side, should not be enough to cause a problem if she doesn't appear to be chewing at the syringe.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome. :)

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 pm

right now my guinea is extremely picky with hay. she only eats the flowers so I tend to dig into the big 50lb hay box in search of them. i have 2nd cut timothy hay so there are some here and there. she ate the harder strands of hay but today she hasn't paid any mind to it. she used to eat flowers, hard hay, and leafy hay before the stone and just a bit after the stones confirmation.

since she eats her veggies plus the few flowers i give her, how much critical care syringes should i give?
i also bought a 2lb 1st cut timothy hay and hope it comes soon but if i had to guess on the latest it can arrive would probably be Monday