"Hard" water

Mizz P

Post   » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:07 pm

The fam, including our single boar (Spork), just returned from a 5-week road trip. We live in an area with what is considered naturally "soft" water. The area we travelled to and resided in has very "hard" water. Whenever we go there, we notice the metal tea kettle always gets a terrible residue in the bottom almost overnight and shampoo and soap are difficult to rinse off. We also use a humidifier when we are there and it always develops significant mineral build up that has to be removed with a soak in vinegar. For drinking water, we always use a pitcher-style water filter (readily available in stores.)

On this trip it was about a week before we brought in our pitcher water filter. During that week, I noticed that within a few days of arriving, there were obvious spots of a white, powdery residue in Spork's cage wherever he had pee'd. I went to the grocery store and got a gallon of a commercially bottled "spring" water (not "purified" and not "distilled") and started using that in his bottle and the white spots stopped appearing after about three days. Once we got the pitcher in, I started using that instead; the white pee spots never reappeared. I don't know the source of the purchased spring water (i.e., I don't know if it is high or low in minerals) but I do know that when I use the pitcher water there is no grit or residue in the bottom of the tea kettle.

My point here is that it had not really occurred to me that the hardness of the water consumed by a guinea pig might have some impact on minerals excreted in their urine. Which made me wonder if local hard water, over time can contribute to stone or sludge formation, especially in pigs who might be prone to developing them. My previous pig occasionally left white powdery spots even at home where we have soft water. Maybe that pig was just prone to them and this pig isn't.

I have no "proof" other than what I observed in my own pig's cage and thought it might be worth a consideration for others if you have a pig that seems to be prone to them. Maybe a change in water is worth a try.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:52 pm

Absolutely the hardness of water matters, and you'll find about a jillion posts about it here if you use the search function.

Mizz P

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:17 pm

I was having difficulty with the search function but finally figured it out. That aside, I was really surprised at how quickly Spork's pee silted up when he started drinking the hard stuff. And then how quickly it seemed to clear up. Thanks again for your help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:50 pm

I hope the better water continues to make a positive difference.