Unsure of what happened to my pig

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 12:52 am

Yes normal urine is 7-9 on scale but my piggies pee when tested have been 10 upwards in alkaline sign. Way more than it should me. A nice dark royal blue(love the colour not good for pee). Thanks lynx and bpatters.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 5:28 am

Okay, thanks for oppinions..yeah, daismay..we always tested 9+, too.. you would want at least 8 or 7.

But anyway-we can argue forever, if something helps lower bacteria level i will thanks to dog vets checking urines samples when i bring it-i will know exactly what did.

And i have bussy summer ahead of me, so i wont be online much..i am on exit door from exoticc and other vet stuff and all that, so i aint too worried, Irie s enjoying life, he already reached remarkable age..i am just grateful for all good times i got to spend with all our legendary animals...and wish all pigs on other topics the best!!:).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 5:57 am

Keep us posted.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 29, 2023 3:07 am

Cranberry juice did reduce bacteria from very to middle scale. However it did cause abnormal level of glucose(quite high i dont know exact number) and dog vet was concerned so we stopped after week. Dog/cat vet also said she can send for culture with free catch-yeahhh:), and we will call them up to bring sample if it wont get to low level of bacteria by june. We didnt take azythromicin. We will do ultrasound check and maybe x-ray during summer.

However i am writing this cause of front teeth that cause us problems in so called old age..upper tooth was repaired three times last year(clipped by vet-i know its not the best method but it seemed onlysuitable option in that situation).. so both upper teeth are in wierd position but that s not problem.It doesnt affect his eating. PRoblem is i noticed he had mouth very slightly open all the time, we checked and his lower tooth are overgrown.. HE is wild pig in very positive way, biting on his cage, running around, but he does that all his life and it was never an issue...however..i wouldnt be too concerned at all if mouth would be closed.
Since its not..i dont know..we can go to this risky clipping of lower tooth as well, but i dont like the idea. Cant he close mouth, or doesnt want to?

He is chewing great..he eats everything-its logical as upper tooth was repaired repeatedly lower started causing problems...
What would you do? How long can he wait..? Can we change this with tons of grass and some wooden things..we re already trying..

Depsite he is nearly 8 we re still as determinated as we ever was with anybody of our gang-thats why i am asking you for some dental advices mainly-as for urine bacterial stuff we have plan already..you can confirm if it seems okay:). I wont go on holiday as i have too much work(job) so is better for Irie and Ziggy, anyway..

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 29, 2023 3:41 am

I give mine apple tree branches https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/39402378704 ... R7z7_eaMYg It is 50/50 some chew on them others just look at me and say you're kidding right? I would get teeth looked at ASAP as their teeth grow all the time and need to be worn down.

A good suitable hay would also help with this. My vet use to do Jessie's teeth only using gas to knock her out and whiffs when she started waking up and she lived to just over 8 years and like your vet she was a dog/cat and wild life vet. You need teeth looked at as tongue could also get trapped by over grown teeth. Good luck.

Some vets can do teeth while pet is awake. For me I don't recommend this as piggies are wigglers and it is a delicate job. Piggies mouths are so small I think better when they are relaxed.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 29, 2023 4:07 am

Thank you for an answer! We have this on apple tree on our property-so he does chew on them sometimes, but he is not very excited:S

From my experience i am almost positive its the front tooth(is obviously), cause our legendary warrior Lee(he lived up to be 6(even a few months older) lived with maloccusion of back tooth-he didnt care too much<3he was doglike not pigike in character, but his condition was described as severe and required surgeries(grinding with anasthesia)...but his front tooth were never that bad...and he had other signs(!).

Iries front tooth are kind of awful if i am right if he got it clipped he should be able to close mouth straight away, but all needs togo welland that what worries us....we re thinking about goin on 6.6. or 13.6.but i dont know..if anyone had anything else to say.. this method is available to us; anasthesia free for front tooth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZoNFxk8B3Q

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 29, 2023 5:42 am

If you are talking about incisors our vet would cut Jessie's teeth with this sort of grinder that squirted water so machine wouldn't over heat. Jessie was awake for this and all she suffered from was a wet face. Took no longer than 10 minutes and I would be in there with her. A very simple procedure, if incisors no need for gas or any other sedative.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 29, 2023 9:15 am

If it is incisors don't let the vet cut too much off as he won't be able to pick up any food for a few days until they grow back.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:22 am

Hey!

Little bit of an update to our friends:
Irie, Ziggy and I spend a lot of time outside and had really great summer...:)hope you had it, too...
Irie is turning 8 on 31.10..but i am so happy for all the time is spend with each of our animals, that i try to focus on that..and not on numbers.
He got carrot fabric tunnels and he likes it..
Otherwise he still got that fire in the eyes, like border collies when working and that is good sign!

On terms of medical things..
he went on ultrasound with full bladder in june and small stone that was seen year before wasnt seen, just a lot of sand.
Urine results were clear on july and little bit bacteria on september..
Yesterday we went on incisors trimming.. upper teeth he trimmed good but downer are still owergrown..vet didnt want to risk something wrong
so he only cut little bit..as cuttin is not prefered method here. But Irie is too wild for grinding at vets..andwe dont want anasthesia.
We tought to maybe(i need to read it all) try like this for downer teeth ,but i dont know what the risks are..otherwise we can go back to vet if needed.
Irie is making some sounds when eating or sniffin lately-he hasnt for years and saline solution nebuliser doesnt help. I cant think of anything to try except Gentamicin(for bordetella) or sth for his asthma he has since birth..we will see vet if it wont clear.
We struggle with weight loss a little but we do all to keep it at normal(despite age). Thats all:). Hope you all are good, too..

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:24 am

Yesterday we went on incisors trimming.. upper teeth he trimmed good but downer are still owergrown..vet didnt want to risk something wrong
Like I said earlier in this thread my beloved Jessie had her molars filed every 2-4 weeks and had her incisors done every 2 weeks. I am not sure of name of machine vet used but it was like an angle grinder and to stop machine getting hot water would squirt out and Jessie would get wet face. She was wrapped in a towel and awake through the whole thing. Cost $10.00 each time.

[quote}Irie, Ziggy and I spend a lot of time outside and had really great summer.[/quote]

Had a good Winter. More rain would have been nice. So glad you and fur kids enjoyed Summer. I hate the hot weather!
he went on ultrasound with full bladder in june and small stone that was seen year before wasnt seen, just a lot of sand.
This could be flushed by giving him more water via syringe? Worked for my darling Jinx.

Irie is making some sounds when eating or sniffin lately-he hasnt for years and saline solution nebuliser doesnt help.

None of my piggies make noises when eating or sniffing. When they had URI's I spent so much on vet visits and antibiotics which caused my piggies mushy poops. When with sweet Jewel all it took was boiling water in a saucepan and she breathed in the steam. She was wrapped in a towel and held firmly. I held her over it 5 times counting to five each time. After 2 days it cleared up and that was April and it hasn't come back yet. Touching wood.

We struggle with weight loss a little but we do all to keep it at normal

When piggies get sick or age they lose weight and it is hard to get the weight back on.

his asthma he has since birth
What were his symptom's? I ask as Jay makes this terrible sound, normally when laying down asleep. My vet said it was a soft palette issue but I have googled many times, been on guinea pig forums doing research but can't find anything for guinea pigs and this infliction. My vet was adamant guinea pigs don't get asthma.

So glad he is doing well. Jessie lived to 8 years old too. That's with the disadvantage of ignorant vets! I hope I have helped just a little.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:20 am

Thanks for the informations!

We will stick to clipping and maybe some home treatment as this machine you described is not available here i think.

Glad you have good winter, too..i hate too hot weather, always!but it was alright this year.

I agree with you..it has to be due extra water and shilintong.

HE was adopted aged 1y 3 m from some family that didnt connect with him..they didnt name him..they kind of didnt even clean cage often..but they did gave him away..so thats alright! He was fed up with them too i bet..:).

Asthma signs: clicking sounds when sniffin sometimes ever since he came here(not always present), wheezing and struggle to breather when Galli broke on through that need remedies(i forgot which one), squeeqing sounds from lungs when distressed at vets-but that was rarely. And he needed medication only once, otherwise symptoms were quite difficult to notice, ...it wasnt severe, very mild, just sometimes.
His previous vets heard it and said its that, otherwise he was always active, breathing normal.

It got complicated when infected with bordetella, cause he got stuffy nose and sometimes sneezing-it was alright for two years, but now he is making whistlin sounds i think through his nose-maybe due to asthma maybe due to bacteria causing stuffy nose-we will figure it out, i hope.

Happy for Jessie lived that long too..we only dreamt about bein together that long, but here we go, now ...and yeah we share difficult vet situation:S.
Wishin your piggies well, too!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:23 am

When you go to the dreaded dentist and have the drill the machine vet used to cut Jessie's incisors was like that. How did vet cut the upper incisors? What machine used? See if vet will use just a little gas to calm him to have lower ones done.

Yeah, you think wow piggy is turning 8, you do a double take and wonder where did the time go. Hope he has a good Halloween birthday. Was he a treat or a trick? I bet a treat meaning a very good boy and not a cheeky trick.