Wilber and Grady

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:51 pm

He has an appointment with an exotic vet in Springfield tomorrow at 1:30. He's still eating and drinking some and still not totally lethargic. Let's hope they can figure out what the problem is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:02 pm

I hope so too.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:25 am

Sadly, Wilber passed away early this morning. He took a turn for the worst last night when I changed his bedding and I didn't want him to die alone in the hospital cage, so I sat up with him and held him all night until he crossed over in my arms. That was at 6:30 AM.

Still don't know what was wrong with him. I can rule out respiratory infection since he was breathing clearly with no discharge from his nose. Pretty sure it wasn't a stone since he was peeing clear urine. He never lost control of his hind legs like Sammy did. He was trying to eat and drink, but his weight dropped pretty rapidly. He was passing feces and I could hear and feel movement in his bowels. He was only mildly lethargic up until last night. He climbed the cage to greet me when I gave him his evening treat. Another loss that I'll probably never find the cause of. He didn't show any signs of being in any pain. He lost consciousness several hours before he stopped breathing and his heartbeat ended so he probably didn't suffer.

He's been in the hospital cage for several days, so Grady has already gotten used to being by himself. Still have to watch him for separation depression though. He'll be moved into the 2 by 3 foot cage and I'll put Val and Earl in the bigger one that he shared with Wilber. I will post a tribute later for Wilber later.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:19 am

I am truly sorry for your lost of dear Wilbur! Even though I haven't posted I have been following this post. How old was he? Do you think it might have been heart or similar? RIP Sweet Wilbur. Run free in perfect health. You were loved! Another angel has their wings! Reunited with all his friends! Again I am really sorry! Sending hugs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:40 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss, Renonvsparky. It is just so hard. I know you care about your little guys greatly.

You have all our sympathy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:40 pm

I was thinking whilst in bed last night if heart or tummy woes mine have usually swelled up with either fluid or air. It might be worth while to get an autopsy done for future knowledge? He is at peace and causing mischief at the bridge.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:44 pm

My condolences, I’m so sorry about Wilbur. I’m glad you were there to comfort him. You give your piggies such good care.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:08 pm

This is for you, Wilber. (10/2020 - 6/26/2024) He is the most handsome guy. His epic white rosette that formed a nice set of eyebrows against his brown fur set his looks apart. It's one of the reasons why I got him to go with Grady. He was a very loveable guy too. He loved to nestle under my chin and purr when I held him. It's very hard to put into words how special he was. I never had a more kind hearted guinea pig than he was. His sweet personality melted hearts and I will miss him. It doesn't matter how many guinea pigs I have and how many I lose, it never gets easier to see one go, especially one as nice as Wilber. Even as he passed, he cuddled up with me and rested his weary head on my shoulder. It felt like he was telling me that he loves me and I will be ok after he's gone.

As much as it hurts, I know he's found his friends and fellow rainbow bridge mates. He was the Rico Suave of guinea pigs and will forever live on in our hearts. Rest peacefully, my little friend. We love you eternally.

We knew he was special from the moment we brought him home. Baby guinea pigs don't usually sit on your lap without trying to run, but he did.
He liked to sit on my shoulder too.

His favorite place to be. I actually got him to come out from snuggling under my chin for this photo.

You can see the kindness in his eyes and how princely he is.

He had some moments with Grady, but for the most part, they loved being together. Grady likes to play, even when Wilber didn't want to, and Wilber liked to groom Grady and keep his eyes clean, even when he didn't want him to. A unique pair.

He was comfortable being outside, although it's been since last spring that I've taken the guinea pigs out to graze. There have been more snakes, overhead predators, bugs and other hazards out there this year than last, so I've been picking wild grass, rinsing it and giving it to them inside. Either way, fresh grass was something he really enjoyed.

Until we meet up again on the other side, godspeed, my little friend! You gave us the best 3 plus years of our lives and we're forever grateful to have you as a beloved member of our family.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:54 am

That was beautiful! I have tears down my cheeks! Thank-you a wonderful Tribute to a beautiful little man!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:45 am

I still have to swap Grady to the 2 by 3 foot cage with Val and Earl. I've been putting it off, but since it's cage day tomorrow and it's time to pull all of the stands out and clean behind them, I'll be switching them then. I still can't believe he's gone. I amount forgot when I put together the veggies last night and gave Grady a double helping. I doubt he would mind.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:09 am

Made the swap for Grady to the smaller cage. Actually, I pulled everything out from the wall and clean all of the hay and stuff from behind the stands that the cages are on. At first I thought Grady was freaking out because he kept zooming around the cage and stopping at the side like he wanted out. Then, as I watched him I noticed that he was popcorning like he used to do in the large cage with Wilber. It seems that he's happy in the 2 by 3 footer. Plus he's next to Gilligan and Skipper, who he can see and visit with. I also put a little mirror up and he likes to look at himself. It looks like he's going to be ok.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:09 pm

I think a change is scenery is kind of exciting to some guinea pigs. Gidget loved a clean cage with everything moved around. She’d popcorn and run like she had a whole new space. Millie, on the other hand, checks where everything is, has a bite to eat, then it’s nap time. Once in a while she’ll throw her head up, but that’s as excited as she gets.