Abscesses

stickyfroggi

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:17 pm

A drinking straw is too big, the hole is pretty small. I´ll have to pick up a small syringe, and I bet they have them at the drug store. Off to Walgreen´s I go, Thank heaven for 24 hour pharmacies.

stickyfroggi

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:51 pm

I got the betadine, but no luck with the plastic syringe. Apparently I have to be a diabetic to purchase a plastic syringe because it comes with a needle. I asked the lady to just open it and keep the needle and no luck with that. Well this betadine sure looks like it is going to stain Moppy´s lovely white hair... damn. I´ll dab some on it until I can get a plastic syringe (hopefully tomorrow before 12, since I´ll be in nursing class from 12-7).

As for a shunt I am still clueless.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:47 pm

The shunts I am familiar with are small pieces of flexible rubber (latex?) tubes. You don´t use them as you would a straw. They merely prevent the wound from closing so you can flush and drain.

The vet would have to put a shunt in but it doesn´t sound like the wound is big enough. Yes, squeeze/flush til you see a bit of blood or clear fluid. Use warm compresses to soften the scab.

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:40 am

Yep, the shunt in the photo is a piece of latex inserted through the wound and tied on the outside of her face. The only reason it is there is to keep the wound open for flushing.

If an abscess is allowed to close too soon, the area will fill with pus again and possibly be bigger than the first abscess. You found it early so that might not happen.

Keep doing what you are doing. Since you opened the abscess yourself, I can see how the wound would be too small to flush but do the best you can with the betadine to keep it clean. Twice a day is good for expressing/flushing. I would think if it´s not healed in a week you may need vet help to get it opened up.