Peppa’s Possible Pyometra

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 pm

How is that for alliteration??

Hi everyone - I have been reading through past posts in this forum for a few days trying to make a decision on Peppa’s care and I thought I’d solicit your opinions.

Background: Peppa is a ca 2 year old intact female that I adopted from a very small no kill mostly dog and horse rescue in South Carolina. They didn’t know much about her past except that she was at least 1.5 years old, had reportedly had babies at least once, and was living in filth. I took her to the vet for a UTI not too long after adopting her and she received an otherwise clean bill of health.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I switched to fleece bedding and it became immediately apparent that something wasn’t right. I found bloody mucous on the fleece and Peppa wasn’t her usual self in the morning. I took her to the vet, x-rays and UA were both negative except for traces of blood in the urine, no infection. My vet was stumped by the photo and suggested possible aneurism in the reproductive tract or other reproductive issues.

Peppa is on an antibiotic for good measure bc of the blood her urine. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her so I’ve decided to finish the course. She was perked right back up that evening, and I haven’t seen the bloody mucus since.

I did however, see it in June on my laminate floor. I didn’t know what it was, and didnt think to take a picture. I also think, now that I’ve seen it clearly, it’s been in the cage before, on the paper bedding.

My vet recommended I take Peppa for an ultrasound as a next step, however reading through previous experiences here it sounds to me like anything that the ultrasound will discover will result in surgery. I was planning to have Peppa spayed this fall anyway, to prevent future cysts, so I think we will forego the ultrasound and go straight for the full spay/hysterectomy.

We have a consultation with the board certified exotics vet on Tuesday. As I said, I’m fairly certain this is what I want to do, but I didn’t get a chance to discuss it with my vet (who is the only person I know who knows anything about be guinea pigs) so I thought I would poll the room here.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 pm

I agree with the spay. Almost anything wrong with the reproductive tract requires a spay, and going straight to that option sounds like a plan to me.

It may be pyometra, or possibly uterine cysts. Either way, the treatment is the same.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:28 pm

Thank you! It helps to have reassurance. I want to do it while she’s as healthy as possible, hopefully by the end of the month. I will keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 pm

You might want to look over www.guinealynx.info/postop.html for some sound advice after the surgery. I hope it goes well! I take it you have an experienced exotics veterinarian who has done multiple spays with good success?

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Thank you! Yes, my vet - who did Gus’ neuter - said she wasn’t comfortable removing more than the ovaries and recommended the vet we’re seeing on Tuesday - a Dr. Powers.

She only sees exotics and seems to be the local guinea pig guru. I’ll be confirming that on Tuesday.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm

We had our consultation today. Which was not so much a consultation as it was me saying “this is what I want to do.” The surgery is scheduled for 24 August.

Hopefully it goes well!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Crossing our fingers and paws here. Keep us posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm

I hope all goes well too!

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm

Thank you! They quoted me around 1,000 - is that fairly standard? I expected it to be between 500 and 800, so I wasn’t that shocked. Just curious.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:06 pm

Perhaps you can ask the vet to break it down. There may be some areas you could save some money (like not sending off tissue for a biopsy).

Depending on the vet and the area you are in, prices will vary. I didn't think of Charlotte, NC as an expensive area.

I wish you well.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:14 pm

I'd ask for a written estimate and see exactly what they're going to charge you for.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:45 pm

She did give me a break down, including sending the tissue out the “high” estimate is 1300. Without that it’s a little over 1000. The 300 I wasn’t expecting says “surgery rm/instruments/dspbls” I’m wondering if that’s just a condition of the large practice.

The Dr said that the only other place likely to be able to do the surgery is NC State, in Raleigh, and their prices are usually similar.

I also did not think of Charlotte as an expensive place, until I moved here. They have good marketers, I think ;)