Unsure of what happened to my pig

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 06, 2023 4:05 am

every average let alone good pet owner should know how to do that themselves

Can be quite hard to clip a piggy's claws as they wiggle a lot and if they had black claws you can't see the quick! As to Irie, I would cut fur around private part. Use fleece blankets and/or towels as bedding. Give extra water maybe you can flush bacteria out?

Give probiotic, and keep his little rest from all the AB's. Weigh him regularly, watch out for lost of appetite. Fur fluffed up, lack of movement. Check soles of paws for redness. Have you tried Baytril? Please keep us posted!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat May 06, 2023 5:01 am

Thanks for reply!

Hm..maybe you should try with rewards-my pigs had differenct characters but i manage to teach them all, to be still eat and wait..and btw out of my gang by far most dominant was Bob(he came to us as homless cat looking as Norwegian forrest cat..we managed everything-you need to build connection..not handle animals around like they re piece of furniture as some do, even with dogs.;))

We are adding water and shilintong...its not working..but he s drinking more and more on his own anyway, and i expect him even more, cause the summer is coming..so temperatures are higher..

Marbocyl=Marbofloxacin=Enrofloxacin...its not helping..

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 06, 2023 6:40 am

Cranberry Juice

If your guinea pig has recurrent UTIs, try offering plain unsweetened diluted cranberry juice. Antibiotics are required to cure a UTI but cranberry juice may interfere with its development, cutting the incidence of UTIs in half.

Use only unsweetened, natural cranberry juice. Syringe feed or place in water bottle. Change bottle containing juice at least daily and preferably twice a day. Plain unsweetened cranberry juice is quite strong and bitter in taste. Dilute with water. Do not use human cranberry drinks sweetened with sugar, apple juice, or other juices.

Check your local health food stores for this product.

https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html#top Best I can offer. Sorry, guess you read it many times before.
Your goal is to keep your guinea pig as dry as possible to prevent infection.

Keeping the butt hairs of a long haired guinea pig trimmed may help.
Change bedding more frequently, especially areas that are wet (spot clean).
Look into polyester fabrics which reportedly allow the urine to drain through but stay dry.
Some people use a safe plastic grid flooring like Envirotiles (different from wire flooring) to keep the guinea pig from direct contact with urine.

UTIs are generally treated with a safe and effective antibiotic like Bactrim (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole) for two or more weeks. Many guinea pigs require longer treatment to clear up the infection and allow the bladder walls time to heal. Call your vet immediately if bleeding recurs after antibiotics are stopped. If your vet did not take an x-ray and the original signs you observed are still present while on antibiotics, be sure to have an x-ray taken immediately.

Has Irie had X-ray? Might be worth looking into. If he is laid back they might be able to do it with no sedation. Look into Cranberry juice from health food shop. And Envirotiles what ever they are! Good luck.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 06, 2023 6:23 pm

Just a couple of items, Lisa12...

Shilintong will not treat any kind of infection. All it does is relax the muscles in the urethra so that a stone might pass more easily.

All antibiotics, not just flagyl and arithromycin, will only work if the bacteria is sensitive to them. Labs can do what's called a culture and sensitivity test, but they're expensive and take several days. They grow the bacteria on petri dishes or in test tubes, and then drop small circles of antibiotic-treated paper on the surface. If the bacteria around the circles die, the bacteria is sensitive to the antibiotic. If the bacteria don't die, there's no point at all in giving that antibiotic to treat the infection.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun May 07, 2023 6:07 am

Thank you for so well decribed much needed informations.

So shilintong doesnt have anti bacterial effect...hm..i did notice increased urination and i did notice he was urinating small white pieces, but very small,cant be stone..he doesnt show any more sign for small stone that was seen last year on ultrasound and not on x-ray. And yeah sure our exotic vet can x-ray without anasthesia.

As for culture, we did nasal discharge culture ( it was very expensive ) 5 years ago for Galli and for IRie, they did found which bacterias they had.
As for urine culture we failed last year and we can ask dog vets to do it again, but they said chances are very little to get some useful result, so i dont know.
We opted against cystocentesis cause of Iries age and the fact that he is feeling good and that it can be dangerous for pigs. So we re bit in the dark.

We will try ursi tea or cranberry tea(i found cranberry juice way to agresive myself, i immidiatly got diharrea.)

We have 100mg/ml solution of Azithromicyn at home..but it would be lottery to try it-cause it s not for UTI and italso reach low concentration in urine, but Irie can tolerate it, so for now, no one suggested anything better, except if we dont try no more AB and it gets well on its on with natural things.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun May 07, 2023 6:24 am

*i meant urine analysis with free catch.

Thanks again..we will figure something out..:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 07, 2023 12:15 pm

..i did notice increased urination and i did notice he was urinating small white pieces, but very small,cant be stone..he doesnt show any more sign for small stone that was seen last year on ultrasound and not on x-ray...

This may be sludge. As the shilintong helps relax things, small bits may be flushed out (this is a good thing).

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 08, 2023 11:15 am

Thanks Lynx, so that s great!! On wednesday we will stop 20 days of shilintong. So, here s the plan..

tomorrow, i am going to buy cranberry juice we will take verylow dossage so i will see, if Irie is handling it well..I am still doing research for uva ursi tea..if its suitable for guinea pigs. Its written it works on many bacterias.

We will decide this week if we will do culture with free catch..i bet our dog vets have headache already because of us if i will call them up..:S;).

We need help just with something..if we decide to start with azithromicyn(firstly we will try cranberry juice and this tea, maybe). This exotic vet wrote somewhat very high dossage.
Solution is 100mg/ml(i think he crushed 500mg blue pill in 5ml water), Irie current weight is 800g, dossage is 0,25ml(once daily) for 14days.
IF i take dossage is 15mg/kg it comes dossage should be 0,12ml, if i take dossage is 30mg/kg dossage is 0,24ml..is that correct..

We dont mind doing x-ray once this year, but once only. As Sef once wrote even with best vet(we have best vet on the other side of the country)invasive surgery(stone) is 50:50 and we are little too old, i think..so we would only do it if its absolutely necesssary(now its not)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 08, 2023 3:07 pm

Lisa12, cranberry juice is not helpful in guinea pigs. What it does is acidify the urine, which makes the urine less hospitable for bacteria.

But guinea pigs are herbivores, and unlike humans, their urine is naturally basic, not acidic. The amount of cranberry juice you'd have to give a guinea pig to acidify the urine would drown it!

And anyway, it doesn't treat urinary tract infections. It just helps prevent them from developing, but only in acidic urine.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 08, 2023 10:42 pm

I got cranberry juice of GL's UTI page. And my piggy's pee is always too alkaline. Maybe test Irie's pee to see if acid or alkaline first.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 08, 2023 11:25 pm

I added the info on cranberry juice years ago (I believe Pinta thought it helped). As daisymay mentioned earlier, it does not cure a UTI. In humans it supposedly makes UTIs less likely (helps prevent them from developing, as bpatters mentions). I do not know how its use would stack up now for guinea pigs.

Instead of adding cranberry juice, continuing with shilintong is probably the best move.

Ditto bpatters on guinea pig urine being basic.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 12:32 am

@daisymay, guinea pig urine is always alkaline. That's the normal state of things for all herbivores.