Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:40 am

It would be very helpful to know what your vet actually intended as the dose, as you originally wrote 0.05mls a day of the "dog" (1.5mg/ml) formula. Did you maybe mean 0.5ml? It's important to have the decimal in the right place. There is a wide safety and efficacy range with Meloxicam, but I don't like guessing at a dose when a vet has given someone specific instructions. Can you verify?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:03 am

Vet said half a ml of the dog once a day but to me that is too much. So I have given her 0.3mls of cat version at 6.30pm last night and will give a further 0.2mls at 8.00am in the morning. Thanks sef.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:50 am

Okay. Half a mil is 0.5ml.

Again, there is a sliding scale on Meloxicam, and you and your vet will need to balance lowest effective dose with good pain management.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:07 pm

Jinx ate all her food over night even the dreaded lettuce she hates so much. She even put on 10 grams to be 890grams. BUT I think she got a URI from surgery as her breathing is noisy. Thankfully on Bactrim.

But strangely when she went in for surgery eyes were normal, since surgery eyes crusty BUT slowly especially her left eye have become cloudy white as if she has cataracts. Has anyone else experience this? Thanks for the reply Sef.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:37 pm

You can ask the vet if this surgery will have affected bladder control. He will be able to answer you better than we can.

Anesthesia can make it sound like a URI.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:58 am

I'm sending good thoughts your way, Daisymay. I hope Jinx is recovering, that was quite a surgery she had. Hopefully she's still eating well and will get a little stronger each day.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 02, 2022 7:48 am

Thanks for the replies and well wishes Lynx and ItsaZoo. Jinx is recovering slowly each day. Her breathing is becoming less noisy. Her eyes are even becoming clearer. Weight is going up and down, she is peeing and pooping and eating on her own.

Going to vet tomorrow to see if vet is happy with her. Then back again in 12 days to get stitches out. Keep you posted!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 02, 2022 1:46 pm

I am glad to hear that she is recovering and doing well! Good luck at the vet.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 3:05 am

Went to vet today to get stitches out. Vet quite happy with her. Still on 10th Metomide once a day and Pron8re once a day. Even though she is eating by herself-85% of food she loses weight so am having to hand feed 5 times a day to maintain weight.She will be happy as she goes back into her cage tonight-had her in tub to restrict movement while she had stitches.

Thanks for reply Sef. Keep you posted. Noticed when stitches removed tiny little bits left in is this normal? She said they would fall out. Was told this with a rabbit we had but they never did and area got infected. Mainly where vet stitched a knot is still there deep in skin. Round about 1 mm.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 8:22 am

Don't know about these particular stitches but often vets will use "dissolvable" stitches. I am sure you will keep an eye on them to see what they do and watch for infection.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 2:25 pm

You can always call your vet and find out if they used absorbable/dissolvable stitches. If they are, as Lynx mentioned they will eventually break down and disappear.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 4:10 pm

It sounds like Jinx is doing well. I’m sure once she starts moving around she’ll get back to her old habits and maybe eat a little more. I know you’ll keep a close eye on her.