Zachary Binks

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:18 pm

Welcome to the family, Zachary Binks (or Binks for short)! He's roughly the same size and weight as BJ was. I went into Petco looking for some wicker balls for the piggies and there he was in their adoption center. They didn't know a lot about him. He didn't even have a name, so I gave him the best name I can think of. He had been surrendered a couple of months ago and things didn't work out, so he was brought back 2 days ago. I can't imagine why because he's a very sweet and affectionate boy.

No idea how old he is. Between the adoption center and me, we estimate his age to be 2-3 years old. No real basis for that other than the fact he's a very active pig. He's obviously not a pup, but he moves around with a purpose. By comparison, my 4 year olds and older pigs moved around well, but they don't really run, jump and frolic like the younger ones do and as Binks does. He's a very good eater. He ate hay the minute I put him in the tote so I could set up his cage. Once in the cage, he went right back to it. He likes the oxbow pellets and he took a baby carrot from my hand and ate that. He's drinking water too.

Meet Zachary Binks:

Already curious about his neighbors, Gilligan and Skipper. The sentiment is mutual.

His markings are very similar to Dean, only reversed.

Diving right into his pellets.

Extreme closeup! He's got a cute face.

Looking forward to giving him a great home. Judging by the cage he was surrendered in, he's going to have a lot more room than he did before, so things are already looking up for him. He obviously has been handled before and it was a pleasant experience for him because he doesn't run when I reach for him and he is very relaxed when I hold him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:21 pm

He's one lucky guy, coming to your home! I hope you both enjoy each other greatly!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 pm

He seems to be settled in already. Not really hiding in his hut like the other new guinea pigs I've adopted did at first. He sniffles around and lays out in the open. I'm giving him a little time to acclimate, but he doesn't appear to need it. We'll see how he does come veggie time, but I have no worries about that.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:14 am

That last picture almost had me kissing my monitor screen those sweet lips. He looks very much like my Justice. He is very lucky he has a forever home with you. And between you and me I think Mr Bubbles may have had a paw in all this. Hoping you have many happy years and create many memories together!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:15 am

Lap time with Zachary Binks. He enjoyed it as much as I did. He's definitely used to being handled. I'll give him a couple more days to get used to his new home and then I'll give him floor time with some toys and tunnels. As active as he is, I'm betting on him doing a lot of running around. I'll try to get him and Dean together in a picture so you can see how their colors are reversed.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:26 am

Even the black on his bottom looks like Justice! He is looking around and checking the place out. Seeing as he likes cuddles so much I am sure now Mr Bubbles had a paw in getting you two together! So happy for you both!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:00 am

Well, the night feeding went about as expected. Binks only ate about half of his lettuce and a few pieces of cucumber. I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone by the time morning feeding time rolls around since he's been eating small bits off and on all day. If that's the case, I'll probably see the same thing with his morning veggies and so on until he acclimates. He ate those veggies along with bell pepper, carrots and a mixture of leafy greens while in rescue, so I know he likes that stuff. He was given his daily allotment of fresh veggies once a day and early in the morning, rather than divided in half like I do it. In other words, he's not on the same feeding schedule I keep my pigs on. He's also used to getting fed from a bowl rather than having to forage it up.

I went through this with all of my rescue piggies. Some of them adapted quicker than others. Oreo, Gilligan and Skipper went right on our feeding schedule by the second day. Sammy and Dean took about a week. BJ took a couple of weeks. Buttercup popped right on the schedule right off the bat, probably because she was eating for 5 when we got her. With her pups, as well as Wilber and Grady, it wasn't much of an issue because they eat everything on sight 24/7. Growing so fast keeps them hungry. I expect that Zachary Binks will come around and I'm not going to fret if the process involves having to remove a few pieces of veggies from the previous veggie time.

I've been looking in on him twice an hour to see how he's getting along while trying not to disturb him if he's resting and I've seen him eating hay several times. Most of the handful of pellets are gone too. When he's not in his hut, he hangs out where I put them and nibbles on them. That same spot offers him the best view of his neighbors, Gilligan and Skipper, so I suspect that's why he likes it there. He definitely knows he's not alone.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:06 pm

Got up this morning and sure enough, Binks had eaten all of the veggies from last night. He was so cute climbing on his cage and squeaking for me. I gave him his morning veggies and he started in on them slowly. He eats a piece or two here and there. Pretty sure it'll all be gone by this evening. He's going to be ok. His days of worrying about a good home are over.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Welcome Binks!!!

"His days of worrying about a good home are over." Yes indeed! He's a lucky boy and a very cute one.
"I am sure now Mr Bubbles had a paw in getting you two together!" Agreed.

We've adopted a bunch of pigs and have never had one that was comfortable upon arrival. Guess he knows he found a happy place.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:01 pm

The morning veggies I gave Zachary Binks are gone. He's eaten them all and it only took him less than half the day. Hopefully that means he's getting used to our feeding schedule. I held him for a bit and he climbed all over me squeaking in contentment. Lap time turned into nap time when I put him back in his cage. After his nap, he overturned his hut and ate hay. I set it back right for him and he's just been chilling. He's more relaxed on his second day than any of the other rescue piggies I've had. I'll take it as a sign that I'm doing the right things for him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:24 am

Sounds like he's settling right in!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:38 pm

Yup. He's a happy camper.