hay rack/feeder

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:00 am

I would like to get some different hay feeders. What I am using now allows for a lot of waste. I have the traditional hay racks, both wooden and metal. I can't get a lot in them. I have some other ones that are actually a little too large that I made out of a hidey house, turned upside down and enlarged the door. I have some little metal boxes, for lack of a better description, that are open on the top and they can pull hay out of the sides. But those just don't work all that well. I have googled and saw quite a few, but nothing that I think would be the answer. At least nothing reasonably priced. Etsy has some that look great, but they are so expensive. So, just wondering what ideas others have. I used to just throw piles of hay into the pens, but that just resulted in way too much pooped and peed on hay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:23 pm

Take a look at this hay feeder / rack that Windespirit designed, I believe after some injuries were documented from metal hay feeders.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... y#p2013793

Read the comments below her post with the images, as they emphasize the importance of having loose, slidey supports.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:54 pm

I don't use hay feeders. I just put the hay right on the bedding. It has a dual purpose. They have to forage for the best pieces which is a behavior I like to encourage my guinea pigs to do. The hay also gives them a comfortable place to lay. They really like that, so I don't consider it a waste of hay. It does require more frequent bedding changes but my little friends are more than worth the extra time and expense.